Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 8, 2013

Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday, July 8, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken on July 4th of 2007. We took Mattie to Boston to visit Peter's parents and family. Sitting next to Mattie is our nephew, Nat. Nat is now 16 years old, but when this photo was taken he was only 10 years old. Around the age Mattie would be today if he were alive! For me, Mattie will always be stuck at the age of 7, yet I see many children all around me growing up. Naturally this is part of life, just not a part of our lives.  

Quote of the day: Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. ~ Margaret Mitchell


Margaret Mitchell's quote is simple, one sentence long, and to the point. But wow, she was SO right!!! Expectations maybe what causes some of our greatest disappointments. We have expectations for our future, our careers, our family, our friends, and the list goes on. When such expectations are not met, a host of emotions or thoughts can arise. Such thoughts as.... I am a failure or my friend, spouse, mom, sibling, etc. doesn't love or truly care about me.

In life, we all experience highs and lows. What produces highs and lows maybe different for each of us, meaning the triggers maybe different but the outcomes in many cases are the same. When going through high or low points, most of us have the expectation that those closest to us will understand, want to be there for us, support us, celebrate with us, and so forth. Chances are when this doesn't happen, when such an expectation isn't met, great disappointment ensues and it compounds the hurt from the low, or deflates the happiness of the high point! I am just as guilty, if not more so, about having high expectations for those closest to me. I have found though that level setting my expectations for others does help to mitigate many of disappointed feelings. Yet I hold high expectations for myself as I relate to others. But at the end of the day, the only expectations I can manage or change are my own. It would be a lot easier if we could just shut out the world at times, to protect ourselves, yet I have found the secret to surviving life is really quite simple...... we need the love and support of key people in our lives.

Today was a day filled with chores. The highlight for me was going out to lunch with my two friends, Carolyn and Mary. Carolyn's birthday was in May and we just got around to celebrating it today! On the way to the restaurant today I noticed that the air conditioning wasn't working in my car. The notion of losing two of our cars to repairs in one week was beyond what I could handle. So on the way to lunch, I called Peter and we strategized how to fix this problem. Since it is HOT in DC, driving around without air for a long period of time, isn't a great plan. However, to my surprise, after lunch, I turned on the car and the air was working! My mom called it a "Mattie Miracle." Whatever it was, I am thrilled not to have our second car taken away from us this week.

I was going through one of our kitchen cabinets today and came across a beautiful bottle in the shape of a half moon. You can see it on top of our mantle clock. The irony is I can't recall if Peter and I brought this bottle back from Italy or whether my lifetime friend Karen gave it to me. This cute bottle contained Limoncello at one time. Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur mainly produced in Southern Italy, especially in the region around the Gulf of Naples, the Sorrentine Peninsula and the coast of Amalfi. I added this cutie to our orange Mattie tribute. In the background is Mattie's "Mr. Sun" painting, a smiley face star bottle which we got on our trip to Lewes, DE, and now a moon bottle from Italy. So we have the sun, the moon, and the stars all well represented in orange!

No comments: