Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 16, 2013

Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday, August 16, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2004. That day we took Mattie down to the Washington Mall. At the Mall, we paused in front of the reflecting pool. We were intrigued by the ducks and ducklings. Mattie just loved this spring time sighting. "A mama with her babies," was what Mattie would always say, followed by, "that is just like you and me." Though there was only inches of water in the reflection pool, I always had a grip on the back of Mattie's pants when he was near water. The ironic part was I always tried to protect Mattie and thought ahead about potential issues or problems that could arise. Cancer was not in my contingency plan, it was the furthest issue from my mind, that is of course until July of 2008.


Quote of the day: And for the briefest instant, it almost feels like we're together again. ~ Nicholas Sparks


During the month of August, the licensure board that I serve on takes a break. Nonetheless, as board chair, there are always issues and responsibilities to perform even when there are no official meetings held. So I went to the licensure board department today and reviewed licensure applications for over two hours. When I returned home this is what I saw!!! This is a mom and dad dove pair, sitting right outside Mattie's window. In fact, while I was upstairs this morning getting ready, I heard their distinctive WHOOO WHOOOO call! As you can see, I caught the dad dove flying away...an action shot. This photo could almost be entitled, "caught in the act!" The female dove is sitting on twigs and looks to be making a nest.

Doves are monogamous, producing two squabs (young) per brood. Both sexes incubate, the male from morning to afternoon, and the female the rest of the day and at night. Mourning Doves are considered devoted parents and their nests are very rarely left unattended by the adults. Mama dove has yet to lay her eggs, but it seems to me that is the next step in the process. As I mentioned last night, the last time we had doves build a nest on our deck was in 2009. Mattie was alive, but his situation was terminal.

On August 5, 2009, we learned that Mattie's battle was coming to an end and that his cancer spread everywhere. The 5th is a challenging day for us and yet when I see these MOURNING doves roosting in August, the month Mattie's cancer spread, I can't help but think about Mattie. As tonight's quote says, "for the briefest instant, it almost feels like we are together again." I am not sure why these doves came to our deck, why they choose Mattie's windowsill (rather than a flower box or tree --- which is more typical of doves), or why they do not seem the least bit bothered by my presence as I visit our garden on our deck.  

As the photo with Mattie above indicated, Mattie loved nature as well as getting to know all sorts of living creatures. I have no doubt he would have LOVED, absolutely LOVED, this dove pair roosting outside his window. Most likely he would have started his day and ended his day by checking on the doves. Doves that are literally roosting inches from his bed inside the window.

No comments: