Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 7, 2013

Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday, October 7, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. You have to love the beauty of Mattie..... wearing a Christmas sweater in the spring!!! Mattie absolutely loved decorating our big window in our living room. As you can see we had fish and pipe cleaner creatures all over the window. However, Mattie was seasonal and loved to decorate the window with pumpkins during Halloween, hearts during Valentine's day and so forth. Though Mattie is no longer with us, I have many of his items still attached to our windows.


Quote of the day: Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. ~ Roger Miller

Today was a very depressing weather day in DC. Torrential rains, clouds, and greyness all day. I never liked grey days before, but since Mattie died I really despise them. As if the clouds are connected to my mood. I was trading text messages with my "friend in cancer" today (a fellow mom who lost her only child) and like me she finds the rain depressing. It seems to highlight just who we lost in our lives. Mattie loved the rain and snow. Or I should say, he loved following the weather. I attribute this to Peter, who is fascinated by the weather and would take Mattie outside to examine the clouds and experience the wind, rain, and snow. Mattie and Peter got what I call "jazzy" when a storm approached!

As Miller's quote points out, there are two groups of people in this world, and I definitely fall into the category of getting wet in the rain. Perhaps the rain really highlights the difference between optimists and realists/pessimists. Us realists view the rain as necessary of course, but we don't like walking in it, nor do we like the consequences of rain (traffic, accidents, wearing rain coats, needing umbrellas, etc). The irony is when it rained Mattie wanted to go outside in it and I naturally accompanied him with my umbrella. To Mattie, a child, rain was fun, it provided a new medium to play with and in, and also it was entertaining to listen to it falling on the ground.

Though I haven't been feeling well, I did run a couple of chores this morning. Back I went to Goodwill to drop off 6 more bags for donation. That puts us at over 50 donated bags so far from Mattie's room! There is more to go believe it or not. However, when I returned home I continued working on Foundation items. On Monday, I head out West to visit my parents, but I can't do that without certain things in place. While working on the computer, in honor of Mattie, I had our front door open to listen to the rain falling on our deck. Mattie would have been very happy to see this, because in many ways Mattie expanded my horizon. Prior to Mattie I gravitated to very female oriented things. When I had Mattie, I had a steep learning curve but I grew to appreciate the beauty and fun of nature, trains, things with wheels, and of course building with blocks and Legos.

No comments: