Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 8, 2013

Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday, November 8, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Mattie's lower school campus always held a Halloween parade, so the kids could walk around campus displaying their outfits for the teachers, administrators, and parents to see. Kindergarten was the only year Mattie attended school. We both thought he would have many more Halloween parades to come. But that never did happen. Nonetheless, Mattie was a very handsome looking air force pilot that year and back then we really had no concept of childhood cancer or how such a disease could impact an entire family.


Quote of the day: I can only note that the past is beautiful because one never realizes an emotion at the time. It expands later, and thus we don't have complete emotions about the present, only about the past. ~ Virginia Woolf

Today was a day in which I have had to wear many hats. My day started out with a licensure board meeting. For the past year my board has worked diligently on creating new legislation to regulate mental health counselors, particularly those who just graduated from a master's level program. I am happy to say that after all this work, I think we are finally done. I invited counseling faculty members from local universities to our meeting today to share our legislation and to vent any issues or concerns they had about it. It is vital they understand the legislation since it will most definitely impact the students in their programs.

After the meeting, I came home and worked non-stop on one project after the other. The amount of administrative work that is entailed in running a Foundation is overwhelming at times, especially when you have a staff of one. Which is why receiving this photo today made me SMILE. To my surprise, my friend and our Walk raffle chair, Carolyn, is collecting candy for us at her workplace. As you can see she is collecting it but also sorting it. Honestly the sorting is such a gift to see, I practically wanted to give her a virtual hug through my phone. I am inundated at the moment with candy. I now know how it must feel to work in a candy factory. I love candy, but candy in bulk is sickening to smell. In fact I have to close the Ziploc bags at night to trap in the fragrances!!!!

This year I can safely say that my home isn't the only Mattie Miracle Candy factory underway. I now have four friends sorting for the Foundation at their own homes or workplace. Thank you Heidi, Leslie, Carolyn, and Ilona!!!! This is a MAJOR help!!!!

My friend Ann sent me a photo of the candy delivery that was made to her house today by the Bethesda Moms Group! One of the moms associated with this group is a former student of mine. Much thanks Alissa! Clearly as you can see this is another big batch of candy that needs to be sorted. But I am taking it one step at a time. I have to process the 600 pounds that came into me yesterday, before I can move along to today's drop off. But I imagine you are seeing a trend on the blog...... people want to help and candy is a product we can all relate you. Each bag and collection will be an amazing gift that will be appreciated by so many in-patient families caring for sick children at Georgetown University Hospital!

No comments: