Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2014

Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday, March 28, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. That day we took Mattie for a walk in our neighborhood to get some fresh air. Funny how March in 2009 was more spring like. The cherry trees were in bloom. Unlike now, where everything just seems grey and winter like. Despite fighting cancer and being in a wheelchair, Mattie claimed a stick. No walk was ever complete for Mattie without finding a stick to take home from the journey. What a stick collection we had developed over the years!!! Our commons area was FULL of them! 


Quote of the day: Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly ... and if left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place. ~ WM. PAUL YOUNG


I want to thank so many of you who have emailed me to wish us luck on Saturday night as we accept the Flame of Hope award at the Georgetown University Hospital Pediatric Gala. Peter and I have been working on what we plan on saying as we accept our award and I suppose in my typical fashion I make things much harder on myself. We could just go up there say a few words, say thank you, take the award, and sit down. But somehow that isn't me. Nor would I feel this would do justice to Mattie's battle and why we started the Foundation. Peter will speak about the Foundation and highlight our activities for the audience and then I will spend a few minutes talking in a personal manner about what the award means to us. This has been a very well thought out and crafted speech. Or so I hope! I realize one thing about words.... words have much more of an impact when they evoke feelings. Therefore, it is my ultimate goal to convey a message filled with feelings and through feelings I hope people will remember us and Mattie Miracle. At least enough to want to visit our website and learn more about us!

Today we had a surprise visit from Peter's brother, sister-in-law, our nephews, and niece. Nat, our 17 year old nephew was in town looking at Georgetown University. Peter and I know Georgetown all too well. Peter is a graduate of Georgetown and of course we lived at Georgetown with Mattie during his treatment. I love photos and therefore wanted to capture this moment in time! From left to right is Peter, Will, Sydney, Nat, and me. Will and Mattie were actually about two years a part in age. So literally in our family it went Nat, Sydney, Will, and Mattie. This photo is somewhat bittersweet, because as you can see our Mattie is looking down at all of us. For me Mattie will always be stuck at age 7, yet when I see Will, I realize, Mattie would really be closer to Will's age now, than the little boy I remember. It is hard to wrap my head around this, but just like Mattie is frozen in time, to some extent, I too feel frozen in time. My friends are parenting teenagers and to me, I feel chronologically younger...... I will always be younger..... stuck parenting a seven year old child. Putting that aside, it is always nice to see our nephews and niece and it was interesting to see and hear about college campuses through their eyes! 

No comments: