Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 29, 2014

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on May 26 of 2009. We were in Mattie's PICU room at the Hospital. Mind you this wasn't a big room! Yet we blew up a kiddie pool, filled it with some water, and put in inflatable toys and Mattie was on the floor playing. Was this the most hygienic place for him to be? Most likely not! But it was very hard to contain an active seven year old to a chair or bed. At some point he wanted to play on the floor! There would be times, I would lay out bed sheets or blankets on the floor, just so Mattie could sit on them and play, but of course this also was challenging because this was a hospital and in the room were big pieces of equipment. But we worked around these obstacles, as this photo clearly shows! When nurses and doctors walked into Mattie's room, they never knew what they were going to find.... literally! 


Quote of the day: In the heart or every caregiver is a knowing that we are all connected. As I do for you, I do for me. ~ Tia Walker


Peter is still home today recovering from a bacterial infection from hell! It has been a rough couple of days here and out of principle, I couldn't let my doctor's office get away with her unethical behavior on Tuesday. Since the office administrator did not call me back like promised to discuss my concern, I got on the phone this morning and called him and left a message. Two hours later he called me back and we had a twenty minute conversation about what had transpired on Tuesday evening. Tuesday was as he called it the "perfect storm." Many things did not align properly for Peter's care, with test results not coming back until 9pm and so forth. But the biggest issue that I had was the medical practice's after hours on-call physician line was NOT working. I repeat was NOT working Tuesday evening. It appeared to work, it accepted messages, yet NO ONE was returning patient messages! Which is highly unusual for this practice. I have used this medical group practice for over 15 years and on-call physicians answer calls within 20 minutes. 

Literally on Tuesday evening I paged the on-call doctor at 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 8:20pm, and then 8:30pm. The next morning, my doctor's nurse called me because I had left a nasty gram on my doctor's personal voice mail line. The nurse had the audacity to tell me that the after hours on-call physician did return calls on Tuesday night, just NOT my calls! Needless to say, that aggravated me because to me that was making a judgment call as to what was deemed important. After talking to the office administrator today, I learned that the nurse was completely incorrect. The phone system wasn't functioning and no calls were answered that night and every patient calling in was complaining, JUST LIKE ME! He understood my frustration with the nurse and agreed that doctors would not triage calls in such an insensitive manner. Of course this points out the flaw in the phone system and how there needs to be back up systems in place so that the phone system NEVER shuts down again and patients are unable to reach a physician. I got all my points across and felt like we are on the same page and my doctor knows now if she promises to call me with results or promises a prescription that day, that no matter the TIME OF DAY, she needs to call me!


On tonight's blog, I would like to feature photos of the Lego activities from this year's fifth anniversary Walk. As my faithful readers know, Mattie LOVED Legos! They were therapeutic tools for all of us inside and outside of the hospital!! For the past three years, the Foundation has featured the wonderful Lego groups, WAMALUG (http://wamalug.com/) and WAMALTC (http://wamaltc.org/). These groups come and set up amazing cityscapes and motorized trains for young and old to enjoy watching. I will feature photos of them tomorrow night. 

However, last year Tim (who is pictured here) and Gavin (who is Carolyn's, our Raffle Walk chair, son) approached me and asked me if this year's Walk could include more hands on Lego activities for kids. Both Tim and Gavin are Lego affectionatos like my Mattie, so I took their feedback VERY SERIOUSLY! They both approached me in a very mature manner and really asked me in a way that wanted what was best for the Walk. Tim, was a classmate of Mattie's in Kindergarten. In fact, a funny story..... when Mattie lost his first tooth, it was in Kindergarten class. How did he lose it? Mattie actually spit the tooth out of his mouth right at Tim! Fortunately Tim handled it better than I would have!



This year, thanks to my friend Tina, we got connected with a group called Play-Well TEKnologies (http://www.play-well.org/). Play-Well hosted three tables at our event free of charge and they did a GREAT job. They asked us to provide some volunteers to assist them, so pictured here were our student helpers. These students had a great time assisting the Play-Well teachers along with the kids under the tent and you can see some of the great structures that were built during the event. 

Are you getting a feeling for the type of building going on at the Walk?? Parents wrote to me after the Walk and told me they could have left their child under the Lego tent for HOURS!!!!!!!!!! They were absolutely thrilled, both parent and child. 







Legos everywhere..... on the tables and on the ground!












We even set up some free play Lego tables for the little ones who we thought may want to build and have fun on their own! Clearly kids of all ages gravitate to Legos! 









This fellow was one of the Play-Well teachers working alongside the children!





















Happiness and busyness under the Legos Tent!












No comments: