Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 31, 2014

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008, a month before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Mattie was pictured here with Charlotte. Mattie referred to Charlotte as "his girlfriend." Although Mattie was pretty sure he was going to marry Charlotte, he even gave her an engagement ring! Don't ask! After a dental cleaning one day, out of all the toys he could have selected, he decided to pick a plastic ring, with the intention to give it to Charlotte. Which he did out of the blue while I was driving them to a birthday party. I honestly did not know what Mattie was doing until he actually did it, and it was a riot to listen to. This photo was taken in June after they both completed kindergarten. Charlotte's mom and I took them on a boat ride that was pulled by mules through the locks of the Georgetown canals. They had a great and memorable time that day and as you can see, Mattie gave the day a thumb's up! 


Quote of the day: It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~ Mark Twain


I had a relatively computer free day today. Which is a mixed blessing. I need it to allow my eyes to heal but not being able to focus and work on what I need to get done, makes me more edgy. July has been an intense month of researching and writing. I can be a very disciplined person who can sit still and concentrate for hours. Which is great if you want me to get a lot of work done, but it does come at a price. I remember when I was in graduate school, the constant joke was....... does Vicki ever sleep? Mainly because I had a way of getting a lot done and though I may look small and weak, I actually am like a Clydesdale. I am deceptive which catches people off guard. 

I met up with my friend Tina today. Tina and I are all about conversation and food. We not only had lunch, but various fun snacks along the way, which included a stop at Del Ray's Dairy Godmother. A frozen custard store in Alexandria, VA. But the irony of going to Alexandria City is I can never go there without bumping into people I know! While there I met Mattie's kindergarten teacher, Leslie, and Mattie's preschool teacher Lana! The world there is SMALL, despite the fact that geographically it isn't a small place at all. 

Of course when I meet Mattie's teachers I think of Mattie, our time together at school, and I wonder where we would be now if he were alive today? Of course I have no answers to these questions, naturally because they are not answerable, and yet I continue to wonder.    

No comments: