Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 15, 2014

Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday, August 15, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. This big chair is actually a rocker. We got it when we were expecting Mattie! Thinking this would be the perfect chair to rock Mattie in! The irony was Mattie did not really like sitting or being rocked in a chair!!! I still have this chair, it seems to have migrated around our home. It is now in our bedroom. It was funny that I captured Mattie sitting on this chair because he really did not sit in it much, in fact, I would say Patches (our calico) spent more time in it! I happen to LOVE this chair and as I reflect on this photo, I remember what Mattie was wearing so vividly! It was his summer Scooby Doo pajama set! Mattie was in love with Scooby Doo and though his legs are blocking the picture of Scooby, I remember it well!

Quote of the day: Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I think Benjamin Franklin said it so well!!! I usually do not sit back and take kudos. In fact, it is quite the opposite. I am usually hard on myself. But I would have to say in two months time, I not only wrote something worth reading, but I did something worth writing about! I can't take credit for the latter. 

Mattie unfortunately developed cancer and as such, Peter and I were placed in the situation of learning about childhood cancer and being his caregivers under the most dire of circumstances. Of course, how one chooses to be a caregiver is ultimately a personal decision! I would like to think that how we chose to perform our roles however was exemplary. I had no control over Mattie getting cancer. Nonetheless, he set the stage for providing me with something very meaningful and heart wrenching to write about. That did not mean I had to pursue it and do anything at all with this content or my feelings. I could have tried to put them somewhere and navigate through the world without focusing upon them. Like so many people would have liked me to do.....to just LIVE A NORMAL LIFE. The problem is once you lose a child to cancer, your life is NOT normal anymore. Instead, you really have to work hard at figuring out what life will look like for you again. You have to reinvest or recreate yourself. 

In any case, I am mentally tired, emotionally worn out, and physically spent from sitting by a computer for so long this summer. I can say that the chapter is done. I will be proofing it this weekend, but there is no more original content to write and NO MORE re-writes! I am beyond thrilled!!!

This evening I was outside watering in my garden and I could hear people were trying to get my attention. So I looked up! The next building over to me were two women looking down at me and into my garden. They were admiring the garden and they were clearly not from this Country. The first question they asked me was WHERE WAS I FROM?! They truly felt that I could not be from AMERICA! When I insisted I was and that I lived in this particular location for almost 18 years, they were in shock. They did not think that someone from here could put such a garden together. I wasn't sure how to respond, but I knew they meant it as a compliment. When I told them that I call the garden my "secret garden" they smiled and said they could see why! They made me feel very good tonight! I work very hard on the garden and it brings me joy, but I also think seeing this piece of happiness in an area filled with concrete has got to bring sunshine to others. So when people stop me to tell me they notice, it is a gift.

No comments: