Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 6, 2014

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. My parents and I took Mattie out to lunch. In true Mattie fashion he had his trucks on the table and all his Halloween gear out and about. You can see toy tombstones, ghosts, and his light up pumpkin necklace! Practically no room for food, which was just the way Mattie typically preferred things. 


Quote of the day: Whatever is at the center of our life will be the source of our security, guidance, wisdom, and power. ~ Stephen Covey




This morning I went to zumba and after class, I met up with my friend Tina. Tina brought all the candy she had sorted to me and we loaded it into my car. As you can see it was another full trunk load! Meanwhile Tina had more sorting ahead of her today with some friends of mine and before we parted ways she was kind enough to go to Fairlington Dental to pick up another 100 pounds of candy that were being donated! I swear candy is coming at us from every angle!

Meanwhile at lunch time, Peter and I went to the Department of Homeland Security to attend our first Combined Federal Campaign Charity Fair. We were told we could bring trinkets, promotional materials, and things to help employees understand our Foundation. The goal of course is to educate federal employees about the work that we do in hopes that they will want to support us through their charitable CFC contributions.  







There were two other charities with us at the event. One was a religious based charity that assists developmentally disabled teens and young adults in DC and the other charity assists immunocompromised individuals obtain chartered flights to treatment. Peter and I have done several booths and exhibit tables now that we can set these up fairly easily. The one thing that surprised me about today is the attendees did not like candy! That was a first for me! Typically candy attracts people to our table. 

While we were at the charity fair, at my friend Ann's house there was a candy sorting party going on. As you can see there was a table with bowls and buckets to assist with sorting. Of course a whole lot of candy filled each bin!!!













From left to right are Jane, Catherine and Tina! Jane and Catherine are moms I knew in preschool. In fact, I met Jane and Catherine in Margaret's preschool class, and Mattie went to school with their girls! Where as, Tina became my friend after Mattie died. Tina and I are not connected by our children. It is wonderful to see how well these three friends got along and worked together. I can't tell you how much candy they sorted! It was significant and I could never have processed what they did in the same amount of time without their help. 






Though a little blurry, from left to right are Catherine, Ann, and Tina. 












No comments: