Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 22, 2015

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken on April 1st of 2009, around the time of Mattie's 7th birthday. Friends were beginning to bring Mattie balloons and gifts to celebrate his special occasion. I will never forget the cute book Mattie was holding up because it was a musical one that we both found entertaining! If you look closely at the photo though you will notice that there were silk screens hanging from the ceiling. These were screens that Mattie and I created together. In fact the heart above Mattie's head says.... "Mommy loves Mattie!" Whatever art we created in the hospital, I usually tried to display about the room. To make the room look more child friendly rather than like a hospital and of course Mattie's IV pole was always a conversation piece! We typically had origami cranes hanging from it, but Mattie also designed a caterpillar out of a cardboard box and attached it to the pole with every admission. Needless to say, these were conversation pieces with anyone we ran into, in the hallways. 


Quote of the day: One person's trauma is another's loss of innocence. ~ Jodi Picoult


When one thinks about Picoult's quote, you first may stop and pause and ask yourself.... what is she talking about? But after re-reading it and letting it sink in it does make a lot of sense. If you doubt this, then for the context of this blog let's operationalize her quote. 

For the past six years I have been writing about Mattie's cancer battle and then of course the grief associated with losing a child to cancer. When Mattie was alive and with us, I shared the vivid details of the daily battle, both the medical chaos and the psychological turmoil. I tried to bring our community into our world and shared with you how our lives were changing and how Mattie's childhood was literally being shattered before our eyes. As time progressed Mattie's cancer metastasized and with that we were forced to face the fact that he was dying. We did not have a long time to grasp that reality and within days we were making decisions about how to keep him comfortable and how to help him die humanly. Which for the record did not happen! Mattie suffered a painful death, and we unfortunately are the witnesses of that five hour torture. 

The multiple traumas I have and continue to write about on this blog are things that Peter and I live with, and yet in the process I have a feeling that those of you who read the blog on a regular basis would concede that your innocence (if it existed) regarding childhood cancer is gone. You know that is exists, that cancer can kill children, that it has psychological consequences on children and families, and these consequences can last a life time. Therefore Picoult's point is true..... one person's trauma is another person's loss of innocence. Sometimes as I always say..... I would prefer to be more innocent and naive.  

When you think about the multiple stories we hear in a given day either from people we know in our lives or through TV, the internet, or things we read, one has to wonder...... where is the innocence? We can almost become overloaded with thoughts and feelings. Which can be difficult to contend with and manage on a good day, but when you find yourself faced with your own trauma or challenging situation, how do we process these other stories and information around us? I know for myself, the answer is... I don't! I know I am not alone in this because under high stress, dealing with intense grief from Mattie's traumatic loss, there are times I do shut out the world in order to function. That could mean that I do not watch certain types of programming, the news, etc.. There are times I can integrate this into my life and times in which I can't. The irony is when I was talking to Kevin (the man who was stationed overseas, and was my flight companion in February) he and I were on the same wave length! He and I suffered completely different traumas and yet we cope with things in a very similar manner. We just understood each other instantly as we sat next to each other on a flight to Los Angeles, mind you we had never met before. Our traumas, shed our innocence, and it was as if we were speaking the same language despite the fact that our war zones looked VERY different.  

No comments: