Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 19, 2015

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 -- Mattie died 310 Weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2003. This was Mattie's second trip on an airplane and out to Los Angeles to visit my parents. Mattie loved adventure and seemed to be fascinated with plane travel. So much so that he always remained awake and alert for the entire plane trip! I happen to love this photo of Mattie and Peter testing the pool waters together and dressed in matching suits.


Quote of the day: Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right. ~ Henry Ford

It has been a very long day of travel to get to Los Angeles. A five hour flight seemed like 10. I have been on turbulent flights before, but this one was bumpy throughout almost the entire flight. So much so that there was practically mutiny to get access to the restrooms on the plane. Every time there was a break in the choppiness and the pilot took off the fasten seat belt sign, people then tried desperately to use the restrooms.  However, as soon as they got to the door of the restroom, they were sent right back to their seats because we hit more choppy weather and the requirements of seat belts were rightfully enforced. It almost became physically unmanageable! So we had to contend with constant turbulence, lack of access to restrooms, and being confined to a tight and VERY FULL space. It wasn't a recipe for happiness, and I honesty don't know how the crew works in these conditions. Because they have to manage the tensions of hundreds of people.  

Now that was only part one of the problem, part two of the issue were my row mates. I had a mother and son team sitting next to me, and the husband/father of this team sitting in the row in front of me. This three some was noteworthy. The mom, who sat next to me, wouldn't disengage from her carry-on luggage at ANY TIME. What I mean by this is, she had bags and bags ON TOP OF HER LAP. I am not talking a purse or small bag. I am talking about back pack size bags and try two of them on her lap and one at her feet! I was certain a flight attendant would flag her, but it NEVER happened. This woman flew with these bags on top of her, and in essence on top of me at take off, throughout the flight, and even during the landing!!! If it were only that, it would be bad enough, but there was more. Her and her son had anxiety about the window shade. They HAD to have it DOWN, so no one could see outside. I have the exact opposite issue as they do, I NEED TO SEE OUT! It helps with my motion sickness and my level of anxiety about flying. So what made them at ease, drove me absolutely BATTY! Then it was there nonstop talking and the passing of notes to her husband in the row in front of us. It was an absolute side show and some how I felt like I was in center ring. TRAPPED in a dark plane cabin, unable to leave my seat, and dealing with turbulence.


By the time I landed in LA, I was very ready to get off the plane. I had developed a violent headache and was feeling ill. Yet don't you know it, we remained parked on the runway for 25 minutes after we landed since there was a plane at our gate. I naturally can put all of this into context, since I am happy to have gotten here in one piece and am alive to tell this tale. But United truly had me laughing. Their safety video has moved from being serious in nature to that of pure entertainment value. I felt like I was watching a commercial plugging all the places they fly to, rather than something that was going to inform me about my safety. I also think it is interesting that this video now replaces the attendant having to walk you through these steps. You can see the video for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAAQ0ZZMyw

The other issue that had me and countless other passengers were the seat back TVs. Not the fact that they had them, but the fact that there is close to an $8 charge if you want to view anything on them. I assure you that even if you bring your own headphones, the system shuts off after two minutes in the air unless you pay to use it with a credit card. You can't even see a map of your flight without paying for that perk. Given that other airlines give you access to this form of entertainment for free, this to me was very distasteful especially when you reflect on the fact that you are migrating across the Country in what feels like a cattle car.

No comments: