Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 23, 2015

Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday, November 23, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2004. Mattie absolutely LOVED trains. All kinds of toy trains. This little table we had for Mattie was used for all sorts of activities, chats, and lunch! As you can see it wasn't unusual for train tracks to be set up on this table. However, with Mattie's creations, he loved leaving them assembled for days after he designed them because he would usually build upon them and continue the play. 



Quote of the day: The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. Ralph Waldo Emerson


This morning we went for a three mile walk in my parent's neighborhood. When I think about the fact that it is cold in Washington, DC and yet in the upper 70s here, it is hard to imagine! Along our walk we came across these beautiful hibiscus trees and had to snap a photo!















We also walked passed several grapefruit trees. I was perplexed why no one picks their trees, but I guess when you have access to such a tree, it is something you just almost take for granted.  













This to me was a LA sight..... "Mannequin Santa" just hanging out on a balcony!


















Meanwhile, back in Alexandria, VA, there was a caravan of candy underway! Thanks to Bud Garikes (upper school director), Dean Mills, Dean Supple, and several strong St. Stephen's & St. Agnes high school seniors, around 4,000 pounds of candy was moved from my friend Ann's home to the School. The School will store it for me until December 1, when they will help me distribute it to our remaining sites around town!

Students carried 45 LARGE bins filled with candy to the bus. I assure you candy is very heavy and you really do need able bodies assisting in this important task. 









I wasn't there to see the reaction these students had to seeing this candy or to hear their commentary, but I can imagine what it was like! Because even though I have become somewhat desensitized to the candy over the years, when I look at all of it in totality it is shocking.













A VERY FULL BUS load of CANDY!!!


No comments: