Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 27, 2016

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in August 2008. Mattie was in his first few weeks of treatment. We did not know if we were coming or going back then. We were truly shocked over a cancer diagnosis. Mattie hadn't lost his hair yet, as he only started chemo. Mattie's art therapists learned early on that Mattie loved art and creating. Not to mention Scooby Doo. So they sketched out the Scooby Doo gang on a ceiling tile and invited us to paint it as a family. This tile meant a lot to us, and for many years it hung on the ceiling of the clinic at Georgetown. This was the first of five ceiling tiles that Mattie created. But that tile is meaningful to me, because as a family we were lost and traumatized and painting together gave us time away from the reality of cancer. 


Quote of the day: Life is not profound without its own tragedy. It humbles us. Sets the bar for our introspection. Keeps us from believing we are gods. Puts our egos in check. ~ Crystal Evans


I received an evite out of the blue today from Georgetown University Hospital. Typically when one receives an evite (an electronic invitation) it is to a party or celebration. Well in this case it was neither! Instead, through this group wide invitation, I learned that the children's ceiling tiles that were painted in the clinic were coming down and we could pick them up at certain dates and times, or they were going to get thrown out. The reason the tiles are coming down is because the clinic is getting renovated.

Perhaps when you read the paragraph above you already see two problems with what I am saying, or maybe you don't. As you know, I am going to tell you my thoughts anyway!!! Just when I think I have experienced about everything possible as it relates to Mattie's loss, I find that I can hit a whole NEW low. 

I do not think information about our children's tiles coming down should be conveyed in an electronic invitation. There is nothing happy about the tiles coming down in my mind, especially if you are a parent of a child who died. So my first issue was with how this information was conveyed. My second issue, which is probably the most upsetting is the significance of the tiles coming down. Sure I could take the tiles home and preserve them, but in reality these tiles have been up and on DISPLAY for seven years now. It made me feel that Mattie's spirit was still alive and his life was being celebrated in a symbolic way, because his art was providing colorful hope to all the children beneath the tiles who were seeking treatment. With the removal of the tiles, this signifies YET another loss in our lives and ONE MORE place that won't be remembering Mattie. Tangible items mean a lot to bereaved parents and it would have been my hope that even if the tiles can't be salvaged and used in the new clinic that a creative alternative could be presented to parents. Whether that is a photo of the tiles that could get incorporated in the new clinic, or something! 

Needless to say, I can't tell you how upsetting this was to me today, and how even more upsetting it was that I had to try to explain my position to the hospital. I am frustrated, angry, and sad all at the same time. Naturally I have photo documentation of EACH tile Mattie created and I am sharing it with you tonight. 


Several years ago, the Foundation had a chocolate therapy party in the clinic. The reason I am showing you this photo is because you can see all the children's ceiling tiles in the clinic. It made the space very colorful and child friendly. 









As some of my favorite readers know, Mattie loved roaches! Well at least plastic ones, I am not sure he ever saw a live one. Which is just fine with me, since I am NOT a bug person. Mattie knew bugs freaked me out, which inspired him to like bugs even more. So just to prove his point, he created a large giant size roach for the clinic. Notice the woman in the upper right hand corner screaming "help." That is supposed to be me!!! Also on the lower right hand corner is a model magic roach that Mattie created with his art therapists. We still have that roach in our home today! However, this ceiling tile was taken down from the clinic years ago and no one knows where it is. Thankfully I have a photo of Mattie's zaniness. 


This is the Scooby Doo tile which I spoke about above. This is the finished product that hung in one of the patient rooms in the clinic. 











Mattie loved trains. His friend Zachary went to London, and when he came back he brought Mattie a toy metal London train. This is a painting of that train. We still have this train on a shelf in Mattie's bedroom, because he really loved that Zachary thought about him and of course the many hours these two boys played with trains together. Also notice the SUN in this painting. A tell tale item incorporated into most of Mattie's works. 

This is Maya. Maya was a patient in the clinic, and the only same aged child in the hospital who Mattie related to! Mattie and Maya joined forces one day to paint a rainbow tile. 









Mattie's art therapists sketched a haunted house on a tile and Mattie painted it. This of course   commemorated Halloween of 2008, Mattie's last Halloween with us. 

No comments: