Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 20, 2016

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. Mattie was still in preschool and one of the things Mattie absolutely LOVED was creating with cardboard boxes. In fact, this skill became a great therapy tool when battling cancer. Mattie transformed all sorts of packing boxes the hospital received and these projects would keep us all busy and engaged. Some of the finished products were truly incredible such as a haunted house, an apartment complex with a pulley elevator, and a Christmas house!


Quote of the day: Instead of saying “I don’t have time” try saying “it’s not a priority,” and see how that feels. Often, that’s a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don’t want to. But other things are harder. Try it: “I’m not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it’s not a priority.” “I don’t go to the doctor because my health is not a priority.” If these phrases don’t sit well, that’s the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don’t like how we’re spending an hour, we can choose differently. ~ Wall Street Journal


Tonight's quote captured my attention because what I said ALL DAY LONG was I don't have enough time! I truly believe there isn't enough time in the day to do everything I need to do. Perhaps it is a matter of making priorities, but the thing is when it comes to the Foundation everything is a priority! Especially at this time of year, Walk season. 

I remember someone once saying to me that hosting the Walk has to get easier and easier each year. Mainly because I have done it before, so it becomes routinized. I would say for the most part that isn't the case! Yes there are some consistent things from year to year, but with each year new challenges present themselves. Of course not having a staff to share the tasks with me, also complicates matters. 

Now in addition to Walk plans, we are also traveling for the Foundation and my Spring art sessions at Mattie's school begin next week. I honestly wanted to say.... I DON'T HAVE TIME for this. But I rarely use that line on other people, though I internally have it streaming in my head. Teaching the three art sessions is actually time consuming because I have to buy all the materials, set up for each session, run each session, make snacks, and then also clean up the classroom each time. So it isn't like I just breeze in and out for an hour at a time! 

This week, Peter and I started a walk routine when Peter gets home from work. Again this is something I would make time for normally. But if I don't make time for some things, I am quite certain life will pass me by as I am glued to the computer and working on the Foundation. Tonight's quote made me pause, as it may have done this for you too! I am quite sure there is something we all feel we need to do a better job at making time for and yet haven't! How do we change that?!


No comments: