Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 28, 2016

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wednesday, September 28, 2016


Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. Mattie was about a year and a half old. Why did I take this photo? Because I always found Mattie fascinating. If the TV was on, it was stimulating enough for Mattie. I only let Mattie watch one or two different stations that were geared toward children like PBS and Noggin. However, the funny part was Mattie wasn't into TV. He was the ultimate multi-tasker! He could play with something, be walking around, and yet would still be processing what was going on in the background. What was absolutely hysterical though, was when the Sesame Street character Elmo came on TV. Wherever and whatever Mattie was doing he would STOP in his tracks! He loved Elmo and Elmo got Mattie's undivided attention! 



Quote of the day: No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks. ~ St. Ambrose



Today would have been my maternal grandmother's 109th birthday! Rather hard to believe, given it seems like she did not die that long ago. But in all reality, she died in 1994, at the age of 86. 

My grandmother lived in my parent's home with them after her husband died from cancer. So when I was born, my grandmother was already living with my parents and therefore to me growing up in a multi-generational household was normal. But also appreciated, as I learned early on that there is a lot to be learned from older adults.  This photo was taken perhaps when I was a senior in high school. We were living in Los Angeles at the time (after relocating to Los Angeles when a sophomore in high school), but would come back to New York frequently to visit family. In this photo from left to right are: my mom, my cousin Clara, me, and my grandmother. The photo doesn't do my grandmother's eyes justice, because she had very beautiful eyes. The ironic thing is only recently have I noticed that my mom has the same shape eye as her mom! Funny how some things are wasted on children, but you pay more attention to things as you become an adult. 

The Foundation newsletter went out today and unlike in July, all the hyper links worked beautifully! Peter solved that technical problem, which I am happy about, because the newsletter is very streamlined now and NOT cumbersome to interface with. I can see who opens up our newsletter and what is opened, clicked through and read. This month, we had a large percentage of readers clicking on links to get more information from our Foundation website! I am absolutely thrilled because this was the whole point of CHANGE. I don't care for change much, but Peter has been making a very convincing case for why it was needed. So I finally learned the technology!

As of this Friday, we will have Sunny with us for a month! He has become an integral part of our lives! However, tonight and for the next two nights, Sunny will be staying with my friend Heidi while we are at a conference. Sunny is a good sport. He went into Heidi's home without a problem, was happy to interact with Heidi's dog and they all went for a walk after I settled Sunny in. Sunny loves to walk, so that was a great activity to ease him into this change. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,
There is no greater friend than one who listens with their ears and their heart. Margy. Although, I am sure someone famous has already said this, for today, it is the first thing I thought after reading your blog this morning. I actually, open it last night, took a long look at Mattie's beautiful picture, your quote and the picture of family. Then fell asleep, holding the IPAD before reading your post.
A lovely picture of 4 beautiful women. Is your cousin still in touch with you? I am glad to know your Grandmother had a long life and shared it with you. I love the picture. It speaks volumes.
I learn from all your blogs, about Mattie, Childhood Cancer, your travel time, Sunny, etc. This blog, I learned a little about a Grandmother, you knew well!!! Thanks, Vicki. I feel certain everything will go well with Sunny and your visit to the great State of Indiana - Margy