Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 25, 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 -- Mattie died 371 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Where else..... but at a Fall Festival! Mattie loved these festivals, and frankly so did I. He was a great excuse for us to go to them, since I did not grow up doing this, nor do I think such things really were as popular back then. So in 2006, when Mattie was four years old, he was about 3.5 feet tall! So happy I have this for the record. Naturally I always thought I would be sharing these photographic memories with Mattie, to remind him of the things he together. I never thought they would serve as a way to document Mattie's life because Mattie would no longer physically be with us. 


Quote of the day: A waiting person is a patient person. The word patience means the willingness to stay where we are and live the situation out to the full in the belief that something hidden there will manifest itself to us. Henri J.M. Nouwen


I love Nouwen's quote, but I can assure you there is NOTHING hidden within me that I need to find while waiting for the State Department to finish their construction work. For TWO YEARS now I have been dealing with their incredible mess, their inconsiderate and thoughtless behavior, and their false promises about a completion timeline for their projects. 

On Friday, the State Department project manager and foreman assured me that work was COMPLETE. That NO MORE was in my future, and they weren't going to spring anything on me in Spring 2017.

On Friday I was thrilled, until MONDAY came. Look at Monday's view outside my window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I complained to our building manager. Within minutes the ladders were disassembled and things cleaned up. So I thought things were done....... UNTIL................................

Today!!! Look at today's view! I have no confidence in anything they tell me. Except I know I have dealt with noise, dust, and their debris for TWO YEARS and I am reaching my tolerance level. Last year they were so close to my windows, I had to keep the drapes shut. 

So again I complained today! If this occurs again tomorrow, I am going to lose it, and when I lose it, you really don't want to mess with me. 

They have disrupted two of my Springs, two of my Summers, and one of my Falls. I am not planning on a second Fall being this way. 






If all of this wasn't bad enough, then I was contending with a toxic smell in our kitchen. We honestly couldn't pin point where it was coming from last night. This morning it seemed worse and at 6:45am, I started doing a point by point search. Until I found the culprit. Under our kitchen sink we had apparently stored Armor All, for our car. It cleans car leather and tires. I can't explain how this happened because the plastic spray bottles are still intact. Yet the Armor All liquid had pooled in the cabinet under the sink and it destroyed my cabinet liner. However, the smell of Armor All in bulk is down right toxic. It was like varnish or turpentine.... a very powerful smell. Fortunately I had the where with all to open ALL the windows and then immediately dispose of the materials I used to clean this spill. Yet I had this liquid all over my hands and the fumes in my lungs. The consistency of Armor All on one's skin is like glue. It took a lot of scrubbing to remove it and half of a day for my nose and lungs to return to normal. Tonight I searched Armor All on-line, and this is what I found..............


WASHINGTON, Nov. 7, 1996 -- In two separate incidents, a toddler nearly died after coming in contact with a very small amount of a widely available car wheel cleaner, according to a report in the December issue of the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

Each child was rushed to the emergency department after becoming drowsy and vomiting, but other signs of chemical poisoning were not initially apparent. Both children appeared to get better, then experienced cardiac arrest. When the parents remembered that their child had been playing near a bottle of ARMOR ALL(TM) Quicksilver wheel cleaner, emergency physicians were quickly able to diagnose and treat for poisoning.

One child, who was believed to have been sprayed with the cleaner, has some long-term motor and speech delays. The other child recovered completely.
Authors found that the combination of ingredients in the cleaner may have delayed serious symptoms and caused an initial underestimation of the severity of exposure. "These are the first two cases we have seen from a hydrofluoride acid-like substance, mainly ammonium bifluoride, but the general public frequently uses similar cleaners for automobile care," says Anthony Scalzo, MD, senior author and an emergency physician. When tested, traces of a toxic ingredient in the wheel cleaner were found in both children.

"The number of reported cases is small but parents need to be aware of the extreme toxicity of these cleaning products," says Ann Klasner, MD, first author and senior emergency medicine fellow. Less than one teaspoon of the ammonium bifluoride mix can prove dangerous to children. To prevent these kinds of problems, emergency physicians recommend. 

No comments: