Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 3, 2016

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. We took Mattie to the US Botanical Gardens. That was a great place to visit around Christmas time. For many reasons. First of which it is kept as warm as a hot house inside which is deeply appreciated on a frigid day and second because the gardens are decorated for Christmas. They are stunning and magical! That day after touring around Mattie paused under a hanging plant. We got a kick out of it because it looked like his hair exploded! 





Quote of the day: Whoever said dogs can't speak was never interested in learning another language. ~ Mark Winik


Tomorrow is the big day for Sunny! At 2pm, he will enter the dog training ring and get assessed! For the past month Sunny has been enrolled in a Canine Good Citizen Prep class. I am thrilled I took this class because I had a lot to learn!!! Though Sunny is the one being assessed, it is his handler (ME) that ultimately wins it or loses it for Sunny. As he is supposed to follow my lead. 

If I want Sunny to apply for pet therapy school/certification, he must first pass the Canine Good Citizen test. So in essence it is a pre-admission requirement to get into pet therapy school. 

Sunny gets assessed in ten catagories. For the past month in class we have been working on each one of these requirements. For the most part Sunny does great, except for #6. In #6, I have to instruct Sunny to sit. He is attached to a VERY LONG leash, like 15 to 20 feet. He is supposed to sit, while I walk away from him dropping the leash as I go. For the most part, each time I do this, Sunny follows me rather than complies with my command. Believe me I have been practicing this at home too, as Peter made me a make- shift long leash. 







The problem with all of this is Sunny is one of ten dogs being assessed tomorrow. They do not tell you what time is your test. So there is a lot of waiting around in a tight space, watching other dogs being assessed. Not something any of us excel at. 

The hopes is Sunny passes his test tomorrow, and is awarded a certificate that looks like the photo!

No comments: