Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 26, 2017

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in February of  2009. I deem this photo as priceless. This was Mattie's physical therapy appointment, yet look whose exercising.... Me and Anna (Mattie's PT). Anna and I understood that to motivate Mattie, we had to give him some control at times and to direct us. If we complied with what he wanted us to do, this would inspire him to want to have a turn and to participate in the therapy process. I learned this trick early on when Mattie went for occupational therapy pre-cancer. If I participated, Mattie would always join in. He needed the camaraderie and to have a partner to test the waters first. 


Quote of the day: Character is what emerges from all the little things you were too busy to do yesterday, but did anyway. ~ Mignon McLaughlin


This morning I woke up and was ready to go right back into bed. But with Sunny around that isn't an option. I have to get myself together because mid-morning he becomes quite persistent for a walk. Mind you Peter walks him in the morning before going to work. So when all is said and done, Sunny gets four walks a day in the winter time. Which isn't bad! Today was about 57 degrees which sounds warm, but with whipping wind, I thought it was frigid and I was going to become airborne! 

Though I am not in the best of moods or with much energy, I managed to focus on updating the 'news' section of the Foundation website and writing a January newsletter for Mattie Miracle that will go out next week. I had a lot to sift through to accurately cover Tuesday's Roundtable. Yet despite all my work, Sunny seemed to understand that he needed to sit still and that I was busy. Which was greatly appreciated. But what I have noticed about Sunny is he is also an excellent watch dog. If he hears something outside he lands up barking and alerting me, and it isn't a soft bark. It is a bark that says...... I mean business. 

This evening while walking Sunny, he stopped in front of the embassy near us. He stopped to acknowledge a young woman standing outside. He literally went right up to her. He only does such bold moves if he deems you friendly and trustworthy. In any case, I told the young woman that Sunny is friendly. She bent down to pet Sunny and then told me about her dog over seas. She said her dog is the same coloring as Sunny and that he used to sleep with her. She misses her dog and really loved connecting with Sunny. Don't you just find Sunny fascinating? It is almost like he has a 6th sense about this woman! 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki,

There are so many things, I love about your blog. It is almost like where do I start in mentioning them. Mattie's pictures, all of them. So I get a full picture of Mattie! Another thing, I love is your total honesty. If you aren't in a good mood, you say it. I admire that greatly.
I think you could write a manual on all the ways to engage a child to participate in activies, they are hesitant to try or just don't want to do it.
The picture of you & Mattie's PT made me smile!!!
Finally, Sunny does have a 6 th sense. He seems totally responsive to his surroundings, whatever they are. I think he is a fabulous dog who lucked out coming to be your dog where love & care abound!