Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 14, 2018

Monday, May 14, 2018

Monday, May 14, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009. Mattie was at the Mattie March, an event his support community hosted for him. The School's baseball team participated in the event and each team player fist pumped Mattie and then they gave him a signed team ball. 

Though this Sunday will be our ninth annual Walk hosted by the Foundation, being on the track brings me right back to 2009. It doesn't matter how many years go by. I remember in 2015, talking to Jocelyn's mom at our Walk. Jocelyn also battled osteosarcoma and she was a good friend and mentor for Mattie. However, Jocelyn died in 2014, and when her mom came to our Annual Walk, she became overwhelmed as she reported to feel her daughter's presence around the track. Jocelyn attended every Foundation walk, until the year she died. She was committed to Mattie and our cause. The reason I am telling you about Jocelyn's mom, is because she articulated exactly how I feel each May at our event. 


Quote of the day: Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care. ~ Theodore Roosevelt



Here is the Mattie Miracle Walk total for today....$77,955 or 92% of our goal!

Meanwhile in addition to running every chore possible today, I also factored in a visit to the vet. I have noticed that Sunny has been eating a ton of grass daily. Almost like a cow or a goat. I have never seen Sunny do this before, and in addition to that he appears to not want to eat, and is refusing treats. Totally not like Sunny, since he is a eater!!! I spent an hour in the vet's office, as she did an x-ray to rule out tumors of intestinal blockages. Fortunately the x-rays came out clear. But while I was waiting for the results, in a room by myself, it brought me right back in time to July of 2008, when Mattie was diagnosed. I can recall vividly waiting in a hospital holding room, for the results of Mattie's x-rays. It is almost like my mind has a reflex when it comes to health issues and the reflex tells my body and mind to prepare to hear the worst. Thankfully that did not happen today, but we still don't know what is causing Sunny to feel ill. Tomorrow we should get his blood and stool sample results back. But in the mean time the vet gave Sunny two shots. One was of pepcid and the other an anti-nausea drug. Now I don't know if this is coincidental or not, but I have the same symptoms of Sunny, just not eating grass OF COURSE. Could Sunny be picking up on my own anxieties and stress over this Walk? Well with Sunny, I don't put anything passed him.

As if today wasn't enough excitement, we then had a horrific wind and rain storm in the vening. The sky turned an ominous color. 











Sunny does not like storms, particularly the thunder. When he hears thunder, he heads right for my walk in closet. He sat there for a while, but then just couldn't take the sound anymore. It was making him very anxious. So next thing I knew, he was standing next to me and then he burrowed his way under my feet and desk! There he remained until the storm ended. 

No comments: