Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 22, 2018

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. I actually took a screen shot of a video. Mattie was in the hospital for his seventh birthday and his school counselor gave him this singing card. Mattie absolutely LOVED it. I can't tell you how many times I heard this card being opened and shut. I guess so many, that I decided to take a short video of Mattie. You can see it by clicking on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFq05QDc2IM



Quote of the day: There is no greater power and support you can give someone than to look them in the eye, and with sincerity/conviction say, 'I believe in you.'Ken Poirot


I had an interesting interaction with someone I know today. I am not sure how we got onto this subject, but we talked about dreams. I have known this person for many years, and never knew about this aspect of her. She was telling me how she always knows when a family member is ill. She knows this because she has a dream about it first. In other words her dreams are like premonitions. In addition to this, she explained that family members who have died vividly come back to her in her dreams. Usually communicating a message for the rest of the family. She admitted to not telling others about these dreams because she said the average person would think she was nuts. 

I on the other hand do not discount someone's beliefs, especially when it involves connecting with a deceased loved on. Do I believe in mediums and people who talk to spirits? I am not sure! I wouldn't seek such a person out, but I am at least open to the possibility that some people are sensitive and have unexpected abilities. 

When Mattie died, I had one or two people ask me if I thought about seeing a medium to connect with Mattie. Certainly I know others have chose to go this route. It wouldn't be in my nature however to use a medium, for various reasons. But top on my list is my own connection with Mattie. If anyone is going to connect with Mattie, it will be me. I do not need an outside entity to help me with this. That is a personal decision. But I understood what this woman was saying to me today. She wants to connect with her deceased loved one because she is worried that he isn't doing well. I do admit that this is a fear so many of us have, especially with child loss. The angst is.... who is watching over our child now? After all that was our job. 

This conversation today (which I admit is NOT an average topic people address with one another), once again reminds me that people view me as safe. I believe this has NOTHING to do with my professional training, but MORE to do with the fact that Mattie died. Once Mattie died, I noticed that people felt very comfortable talking to me about grief and loss, and they seem to know that I am not going to judge them on how they are managing or coping. 


Today was my first day back home, and one consistent thing is Sunny. Sunny loves looking for squirrels. He chased one right into a magnolia tree and then sat down and wouldn't move. 
Peter calls Sunny my "lover boy." I truly think Sunny can smile! 

No comments: