Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 6, 2018

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. We had many holiday outfits for Mattie's that year. After all it was his first Christmas. I love this photo because to me Mattie looks so happy that he could practically jump out of my arms. 




Quote of the day: I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. ~ G.K. Chesterton


Today was the day of THREE's! Three people telling me how grateful they were to talk with me. I would have to say that receiving this feedback is more meaningful to me than getting an actual gift. But here's the thing. I did not set out to be the recipient of this nice commentary, I was just being myself. 

I know two of the people who gave me this feedback and the other person was a complete stranger. 


This is Ed. I met him this morning while walking Sunny by the Potomac River. Ed was walking a BIG German Shepherd, who was intrigued by Sunny! We got to talking and I heard all about Ed's life and in particular his journey with several dogs which required wheel chairs. In fact, he appreciated me listening to his story, that he gave me a badge with his "on the road camp" logo and blog site. He felt I deserved it for being a good listener. Ed literally traveled all over Alaska with his dogs. He did not want a disability to prevent his loyal companion from traveling. 

The second person who talked to me today, is someone I see on occasion in my neighborhood. Just my hello, caused a river of emotions to pour out of this individual. Everything from trouble with her son's teacher to the recent death of her sister. After we spoke, she thanked me for listening and though I couldn't make things better, it was clear she felt better knowing that someone understood how she was feeling. I have found grief is this way, we all experience it differently, and yet there are some commonalities. Especially as it relates to our feelings about the future, about day to day life, holidays, and of course how we can or can NOT interact with the outside world. 

My third and final encounter today was with a good friend who is in active cancer treatment. For Christmas, she gave me a drinking glass that is etched with the word, "grateful." She said that it is to remind me how grateful she is to have me in her life. Hearing that I have helped her in some way and that I am making a difference in her life is the gift. Her beautiful glass will remind me of today's encounter and the moral of the story being that making time for people and listening certainly helps others, but at the end of the day it is through helping others that we ultimately help ourselves.  

No comments: