Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 12, 2019

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Saturday, January 12, 2019


Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. Mattie was almost three years old and this was very typical of Mattie. If I was in the kitchen, he wanted to be there too! Don't you just love the impish look on his face?





Quote of the day: Sometimes you have to take a half step back to take two forward.Vince McMahon



On January 22, Mattie's school has asked us to participate in their new colloquium. The nature of the colloquium is to inspire common good and to encourage high school students to think beyond themselves. Around 20 different non-profit groups are coming in to meet with the students. Each of us are assigned a classroom, and students can choose to attend our 45 minute sessions. 

I have to admit that this age group is not my favorite to teach or interact with. So I have been truly struggling on how to occupy the 45 minute sessions, since I know that a simple PowerPoint and lecture won't work! This age group prefers active engagement and participation. Therefore, we have strategized role plays to highlight some of the psychosocial issues children with cancer and their families face and I am in the process of creating two group exercises. One which involves a matching game to determine the facts about childhood cancer and the other is a team competition to brainstorm the best and most achievable ways to get teenagers involved in our Foundation to promote awareness about childhood cancer and raise funds for us. 

In addition, I debated for quite some time regarding how to summarize Mattie Miracle for them. Certainly we could talk about it, but I concluded it would be better to develop a short video highlighting who we are. So initially I thought the video would be for this venue, but given the amount of time it takes to create a video, I decided to make a tenth anniversary video instead. A video that highlights our accomplishments and also gives the viewer a feeling for who we are and why we do what we do. This video can be used by the Foundation for multiple purposes! So in a way, this January 22nd event, motivated me!

I have been working on this video for two weeks now. Picking the music that the video was timed to was next to impossible for me. I can't tell you how many songs I listened to until I found the one that captured the sentiments and energy I was looking for. I mentioned in a previous blog that I chose the song "lean on me." Well I quickly changed that and moved to "You got a friend in me." However, I felt that song was too trite given the subject matter and therefore my final selection was Phil Collin's, "You'll be in my heart." I hope to launch the video tomorrow and when I do I will post it to the blog. 

No comments: