Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 1, 2019

Friday, March 1, 2019

Friday, March 2, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2006. This was a VERY unusual occurrence in our home. Mattie rarely napped, I mean ever. Even as a baby, napping wasn't his favorite thing to do. However, as a preschooler, when Mattie headed to the couch and fell asleep, I knew he was sick with a fever. 




Quote of the day: How you enter a space and how you leave a space is as important as what happens in the space. ~ Emily M. Axelrod





Today we hosted an implementation research symposium at the American Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference in Atlanta, GA.  Peter and I have just stopped moving today at 10:30pm, and we are both exhausted. This was our first year granting funds for research and hosting this type of symposium. It was a learning lesson, and we have insights moving forward about how we can make the presentations more applied for those in the audience. After all the goal is to inspire innovative models to be developed so that clinicians from around the Country can take these models back to their sites to use and enhance care for patients and families. 




This is a listing of all six of our grant recipients. Dr. Canter received a $10,000 grant from us and her research was selected by the American Psychosocial Oncology Society's research committee. The other five studies were personally selected by Mattie Miracle, given that these studies lined up with Mattie Miracle's vision and commitment for Standards implementation. 



Lighting in the conference room was horrible, but Peter snapped this photo of me with the researchers. From left to right: Vicki, Kim Canter, Kristin Long, Dr. Lori Wiener, Alex Psihogios, Gillian Regan, and Kathy Kirkpatrick. 

On an aside, the hotel fiasco continued today. I was so exasperated that I decided while taking a break from the conference, to search trip advisor. Trip advisor posted some very bad reviews on this hotel, two of which were from this week. In fact, one person must have been staying on our same floor, as he too complained about the mattresses, moving of furniture throughout the hallways at ALL hours of the day and night, and the inability to get anywhere with hotel staff. In any case, while reading Peter out loud these reviews, a man came up to us and wanted to know if everything was okay. When I said it wasn't, Eddie introduced himself to me as Guest Relations Coordinator. He literally sat down with me and listened to my tirade. I assure you I have been fighting my way through this hotel since I got here. Today, Eddie, with his professionalism, addressed all my concerns. It gives me hope that there are still some people around in our service industry who want to excel and are client oriented. I told him this hotel needs to clone him! 

No comments: