Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 7, 2019

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Tuesday, May 7, 2019  -- Mattie died 502 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2008. Mattie was in kindergarten and Peter and I were guests in the classroom, as we introduced the children to coconuts. I mean a fresh one off the tree, which looks very different from the coconut in the grocery stores. First I did a little show and tell and gave the children all sorts of facts about the tree and the fruit! Then we took the children outside and Peter demonstrated how you open a coconut. Which is always a show. At the end there were coconut treats to try! All I can say is I may have experienced only one year of Mattie in school, but I volunteered often in that one year and was very involved. 


Quote of the day: In good times and bad, we know that people give because you meet needs, not because you have needs. Kay Sprinkel Grace


It was a whirlwind of a day, which started with a visit to the dentist. I had my follow up appointment with the fitting of a permanent crown. Ironically I thought the tough part was going to be the process from two weeks ago. Which was removing a part of the tooth with issues and then putting on a temporary crown. However, in comparison to that, I would say today's pain is much worse. The dentist prepared me for that, which doesn't make intuitive sense to me. Other than he is absolutely correct!

While at the dentist's office, I met a 23 year old woman who is working as an assistant, but truly isn't sure what she wants to do career wise. In any case, while waiting for the dentist, she and I got to talking. She is very personable, has a genuine interest in people, likes to talk, but is also a good listener. In any case, by the time I finished with her, I got her thinking about becoming a therapist. As I know full well the people skills she has are hard to teach! 

It was a day of non-stop work. However, check out tonight's thermometer which reads...... 90,451 or 90%. A big jump from our 88% yesterday. 

No comments: