Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 9, 2020

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. We literally took Mattie's creation of Mr. Sun, and transposed a photo of him into the center of it.  

Mr. Sun was created on November 8, 2008. Mattie was invited to his art teacher's gallery. He spent the entire day there and after which this amazing painting was produced. This painting hangs in our dining room, and it served as the inspiration for Mattie Miracle's logo. 


Quote of the day: Bundy continued targeting female students in the area. He developed a technique: approaching women while wearing a cast or appearing otherwise disabled and asking them to help him put something in his car. ~ Gabe Paoletti


I remember when I was a child, my grandmother would always say to me before leaving the house..... don't talk to strangers and don't get near anyone's car!
She didn't just say this to me once, she said it daily for years! Even when I was in high school. Of course, as a child, I thought my grandmother was an alarmist and just being paranoid. But this weekend, I started watching the HLN (headline news by day and mysteries and investigations by night) series How It Really Happened Ted Bundy Special. Given that this serial killer's case went on for ten years, I now completely understand the context of how my grandmother viewed the world.

Theodore Robert Bundy was an American serial killer who kidnapped, raped, and murdered numerous young women and girls during the 1970's and possibly earlier. After more than a decade of denials, before his execution in 1989 he confessed to 30 homicides that he committed in seven states between 1974 and 1978. The true number of victims is unknown and possibly higher.

I am not sure why Peter and I find this series fascinating but we have been glued to each episode. Part of me feels like we can't understand such evil and therefore we want to understand how on earth the creation of such a monster could be possible. I am not sure there is an answer and frankly I don't care how mixed up he was growing up (thinking his mom was his sister and his grandfather beating him), because there is no acceptable explanation for such brutality and disregard for life. 

Part of the series focuses on Elizabeth, his actual girlfriend. Though she describes him as warm and loving, she did report him to the police twice, because she feared he could be responsible for the murders. Ted Bundy destroyed the lives of families and friends, and clearly people interviewed today continued to be profoundly affected by his evil. 

Ted Bundy was well put together, bright, well spoken, and engaging. Not the typical account of a serial killer, which is how he escaped the law for ten years. His horrific life reminds us that we can't judge a book by its cover. 

How It Really Happened Ted Bundy Special - Trailer:


No comments: