Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 11, 2020

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 -- Mattie died 567 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on August 6, 2008. Mattie's good friend, Charlotte, came to the hospital to visit Mattie. This was Charlotte's first visit to the hospital. Visiting a hospital, especially a pediatric unit, is never easy. But despite all the sounds, smells, and sights, Charlotte never missed an opportunity to visit her friend. That day they had a painting party together right outside Mattie hospital room, in the middle of the hallway. I learned a lot from Mattie's child life professional and Mattie! After all, being in the hospital did not mean that Mattie was no longer a child. He was and he needed those creative outlets to be himself. I am so glad we never missed an opportunity to give him those moments and I am grateful he had the companionship of Charlotte.

Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins. 
  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 5,130,784
  • number of people who died from the virus: 164,603

My morning started at 5:30am. I wanted to get up, showered, and dressed before starting breakfast. At 7am, I woke my dad up and got him showered, dressed and downstairs for breakfast. All of this may sound easy, but every aspect of getting my dad ready to leave home by 8:30am, takes great coordination. 

Yesterday, I learned that my parents had a dental hygiene appointment in September. I was concerned about my mom managing the logistics of this alone, so I contacted the dental office to see if I could get them an appointment during the month of August while I am here. I gave the dental office some insight into my parent's situation and why I would appreciate their cooperation in making this happen. I was fortunate that they were able to squeeze my parents in this morning. 

My parent's dentist is very compassionate and he donates 800 toothbrushes a year to Mattie Miracle. It was wonderful to be able to meet his dentist in person today to thank him personally. We were at the dentist office for two hours, as both of my parent's had a teeth cleaning. Nonetheless, the whole process went smoothly. 

Now I am waiting for a dryer repair person to show up! I am trying to accomplish a task each day as days here are full, and it takes a lot of oversight and management to get chores and issues resolved. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for my mom to do these things and also support my dad. 

Today's Sunny photo! Sunny is in essence at summer camp. He is enjoying his days in Boston! He spends a lot of time outside in the backyard checking out anything that moves.... like squirrels and chipmunks. 


















Sunny and OC the cat met officially today! OC ('Outdoor Cat') is Peter's parents cat. He is an old fellow, and has significant health issues. Therefore, it is hard to know how he'd react to Sunny. Clearly OC accepted Sunny. In fact, I have yet to meet an animal or HUMAN who did not like Sunny.




No comments: