Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2022

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was a year old. It was his first trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was around July 4, and Mattie had his red, white, and blues on! We paused in the shade to take this photo, but right near us with Hatteras Lighthouse. I am a lighthouse aficionado, and I wanted to introduce Mattie early on to these great structures. 


Quote of the day: Many of us follow the commandment ‘Love One Another.’ When it relates to caregiving, we must love one another with boundaries. We must acknowledge that we are included in the ‘Love One Another’. ~ Peggy Speers


Tonight's quote comes in many different forms and phrases. It is one of those platitudes that I despise. As if you need to remind a caregiver to take care of one's self! Given my personal experience with caregiving for both a child with cancer and older adults with dementia as well as my professional knowledge and research with caregivers..... I have to say that caregivers KNOW quite well that we need to take care of ourselves. We can feel the toll our daily grind takes on us physically and emotionally. However, the problem with all of this is what we do is crucial to the survival of those around us. Therefore, taking a break in some cases is just not reasonable or possible. As I say there are only so many hours in the day. 

All I know is balancing the care for my mom and dad together absorbs my every waking moment. So much so that it is hard for me to have a conversation with Peter, I rarely walk Sunny anymore, and it is close to impossible to get Foundation work done. On top of which I am chronically exhausted. If all of this isn't bad enough, my mom keeps saying that they should just go to a nursing home because they are a 'burden' to me. 

Keep in mind that I never use the term BURDEN. It is not a term I care for at all. When my dad hears my mom mention a nursing home, he gets very upset and at times tells her to just "shut up." The issue with working with people who have dementia is they really no longer have insights into their own situation, much less anyone else's. However, dementia makes you turn deeply inward and therefore one's needs are the only ones that seem to matter. 

Should my parents be in a nursing home? It is a hard question to answer. Certainly they both would qualify and need around the clock care and support. With that said, I am abundantly aware that such a dramatic change in living environment, would cause significant decline in both of them. If I am willing to accept that this would be the beginning of the end, then I could move forward with such a decision. But I am not there yet.  

What drives me crazy however is when my mom says that I view them as a burden. She will say this whenever I mention that I want time to myself, that I want to sleep later, or perhaps see a friend. None of these are doable and my expression and desire for freedom is met with the discussion of burden. It is a wicked spiral that at times makes me upset, frustrated, and angry. I remind my mom that what I am doing, not many other adult children would do. I have given up living in order to manage their daily needs. 

I am not doing light caregiving. I am managing showers, dressing, toileting, cooking, cleaning, laundry, doctor appointments, therapy sessions, driving from place to place, bills, and the list goes on. Given my dad's issues with irritable bowel syndrome, I am constantly cleaning him and the bathrooms. Literally I could spend the day doing this and I have learned to eat quickly (which I do not like doing) because no meal is complete without a bathroom emergency. 

Meanwhile our boy is spending a lot of time in the basement. Sunny hates the rain and storms and the basement tends to be safer and quieter for him. Got to love that Sunny smile. 

Peter and I are trying desperately to get Sunny to take his antibiotics. But he is onto us! He knows that treats are typically filled with DRUGS, which make him sick. So he is holding out and is opting for NOT eating altogether. The vet's assistant says we need to open Sunny's mouth and pop the pills down his throat. I DON'T think so! As a result I am trying to sneak his pills in everything from cold cuts, sausages, pill pockets, and even cheese. Nothing is working. He will eat and spit out the pills. Clever fellow, who unfortunately doesn't like peanut butter, because that stuff covers the smell and taste of everything! 

Early on after we adopted Sunny, we switched him off of dog food. I found that the kibble made Sunny gain a ton of weight. Because his vet was constantly on my case, I decided to STOP all dog food and cook Sunny's food myself. What did Sunny used to eat? Ground chicken, ground beef, ground pork, steamed string beans, and sweet potato. On the weekends, I would make him scrambled eggs with ham and the list goes on. Now though whatever I cook for Sunny he doesn't want it. My boy used to love to eat, and now not unlike Mattie, we are jumping hoops to get him to eat. Eat ANYTHING!

No comments: