Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 12, 2022

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Tuesday, July 12, 2022 -- Mattie died 667 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was a year old and this was his first trip to the beach. It was a tough visit, as Mattie spent most of his time playing with the hose on our the deck. He was deathly afraid of the sound of the ocean and didn't like the feeling of the sand. That changed the follow year that we visited! I am glad we kept at it, because Mattie loved building and playing in the sand and we made many wonderful memories in North Carolina. 


Quote of the day: A difficult time can be more readily endured if we retain the conviction that our existence holds a purpose, a cause to pursue, a person to love, a goal to achieve. ~ John Maxwell


It was another busy day! I just couldn't get up this morning. Right before my dad went to sleep last night, he had a bout of diarrhea. I assure you at 10pm, this is the last thing I have the energy for. Unfortunately the diarrhea continued today. Typically I refuse to give my dad Imodium, but today I had no other choice. Of course trying to figure out what caused this is another story. I suspect he ate something at the memory center the day before, but I can't be certain. At one time we could control my dad's irritable bowel syndrome better with diet. Now there is no predictability. This makes it very difficult trying to take him out, when even at home it is hellish to manage, as he goes all over himself. 

This morning, I made an appointment for two weeks from now with a neurologist for my mom. She has many symptoms that need to be evaluated and frankly I need to understand better what I am dealing with and how to more effectively support her. Her decline since I saw her in Los Angeles (April of 2021), is significant. Though Peter feels my mom's decline since she has moved in with us in December has been steep. So I am trying to be pro-active, because honestly both of them are candidates for an institution. I am trying very hard to manage their care so they can live in the community with us. 

This afternoon, I took my parents back to the hospital so that I could attend an occupational therapy session with my dad. While we were in therapy, I left my mom in the hospital atrium with a hot tea. Today's therapy session was intense and now I see the benefits of outpatient therapy. They can do more things given the equipment they have access to than can be done in our house. The question however, is will my dad benefit from this? After all, he did not remember even going for a therapy evaluation last week! 

There is never a break! My parents need constant supervision and support. I can't let them converse with a doctor or therapist alone, and certainly any therapy sessions require my support. It is a huge responsibility that has physical and emotional ramifications for me and PETER! 

No comments: