Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 2, 2023

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2002. The day Mattie was born! He was due on April 6, but my water broke on April 2, and he clearly knew there was NO time to waste. Mattie was born alert and raring to go! He wasn't a napper and wanted to take in as much of the world that was around him. As if he knew he'd only be with us for 7 years. 


Quote of the day: I find, 'he says, his voice still muffled, 'that I am constantly wondering where he is. Where he has gone. It is like a wheel ceaselessly turning at the back of my mind. Whatever I am doing, wherever I am, I am thinking: Where is he, where is he? He can't have just vanished. He must be somewhere. All I have to do is find him. I look for him everywhere, in every street, in every crowd, in every audience. That's what I am doing, when I look out at them all: I try to find him, or a version of him. ~ Maggie O'Farrell



I did my usual morning routine today, and put my dad in the shower. While he was in there I was buzzing around making the bed, cleaning the toilet, and picking up trash. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see he was trying to stand up from his shower chair. There is ONLY ONE reason why my dad stands in the shower, and that is because he has to have a bowel movement. In the past, I did not move quick enough and it instead it went all over the shower, which I assure you is a huge clean up job for me. Now I keep my dad's hospital bin, which is like a bucket, inside the shower. I do this for moments just like today. As he began to stand, I told him to hand me the bin and thankfully I was able to catch everything! It still wasn't a pretty clean up job, but it so much better than having a mess all over the shower. But this is how my day started. 

After breakfast and the morning routine of brain games and walking with my dad, I got him settled in his recliner and decided to go into the backyard where Peter and Sunny were. I literally had a coat on and was sitting on one of our lounge chairs. I was enjoying this moment, for less than 5 minutes, when I heard my mom screaming. I had no idea what she was yelling about, so I went inside. I came in and found our 6 1/2 year old neighbor visiting to bring us an Easter basket filled with goodies that he and his siblings made. I clearly have a fan. I appreciated the gift and the visit, but having a free moment for me is so fleeting, and I was truly enjoying being outside.

After my little friend left, I got out the dozen eggs I had boiled the other day, and set up the counter to decorate Easter eggs. My mom loves this activity. Prior to my parents moving in with us in 2021, I had NOT done Easter Eggs since Mattie got sick in 2008. Now I feel it is important to decorate so that my parents are reminded of the season and holiday that is approaching. 


Peter snapped this photo of us. 













Our finished products! The two orange eggs have MATTIE's name on them!

While Peter was working in the garden, check out his buddy.... sleeping on the job!

I did not see this beautiful butterfly, but Peter did and sent me this glorious photo! Apparently this is a Polygonia butterfly.  They have conspicuous angular notches on the outer edges of their forewings, which is why their common name is anglewing butterflies.

No comments: