Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 5, 2023

Friday, May 5, 2023

Friday, May 5, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009. As you can see it wasn't a very happy moment in time. Unfortunately Peter and I have many of these moments filed in the back of our minds. Sure it maybe 14 years ago, but some things are unforgettable. I would say seeing your child in pain, depressed, and sick 24/7 was very hard to take emotionally. Peter and I tried extremely hard to be positive and in control around Mattie. Which was needed as there were always various moving parts around us and we had to have it together, because we were constantly making life and death decisions in Mattie's care.... not just on a weekly or monthly basis, but in many cases, hourly. 

Quote of the day: The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. ~ Mahatma Gandhi


Gandhi's quote has always resonated with me. I would say that I feel most useful and alive, when I am helping others. Not just doing a task or a chore, but helping someone in a crisis or who is emotionally overwhelmed. Honestly since Mattie died, I view every issue through the lens of loss. If you evaluate any problem someone sets before you, I bet that you will find a hint of some kind of loss attached to it! Think about it!

Today was another ridiculous day of being up at 5:45am, balancing my parents needs, and juggling schedules and lots of driving. I took my mom to physical therapy today. We drove home and I thought we would have an hour before my dad was to come home. My thinking was that I could use that hour and catch up on emails and do some work. I was really looking forward to this hour of undisturbed time. FORGET IT, not in the cards for me. 

When I walked into our house, we could hear Peter talking. At first I told my mom that Peter must be on a conference call. But as I kept listening, I realized the person he was talking to was talking back and I could hear her. So I began to walk around the house and indeed I found Peter and our lovely neighbor. 

Our neighbor was having a bad day and reached out to Peter. I will spare you the details because this isn't my story to hear. But the point is, I sat down and listened to our neighbor and what I quickly realized is YES I am a mental health provider. I haven't lost that art form and skill. I can track multiple threads a person is talking about and I am good at trying to help slow down the conversation and process what is being said in order to stabilize how one is feeling. In reality we all need a sounding board, someone we can trust and confide in, without being judged. I am glad we could serve in that role today and since our neighbor moved in, we connect daily or weekly. Which for me is important, because I live a very socially isolated existence. She thinks we are helping her, but what she doesn't realize is she is HELPING us! 

No comments: