Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 2, 2023

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Tuesday, May 2, 2023 -- Mattie died 709 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2009. Mattie was pictured next to two of my students, Ariel and Tess. These two women are very bright, compassionate, and gifted. I am proud that Ariel became a pediatric nurse and it is always lovely to hear how Mattie played a part in career choice. This happy photo was taken at the Mattie March, an event Mattie's care community planned for him at his school. At the event was a crafts table. Mattie designed several things and he truly had a wonderful and memorable day at this event. It was the Mattie March that laid the ground work for Mattie Miracle's annual Walk. 


Quote of the day: Every sunrise is an invitation for us to arise and brighten someone's day.Richelle E. Goodrich


It was my usual day of craziness. But within a whole lot of tasks, chores, and managing demands, the Foundation had a very successful day. Today alone, we received $35,000 worth of donations, bringing our Mattie Miracle Walk thermometer up to $97,150! Honestly it is a miracle, because for the past week I was really struggling internally with.... HOW WAS I GOING TO RAISE ALL THIS MONEY by May 21? 

This afternoon, after I drove my mom home from physical therapy, my neighbor text messaged me. She said that she and two of our four children wanted to come over and visit with us! When little Caroline (four years old) walked through my front door, she handed me this sign! The family is donating $25,000 to Mattie Miracle. It leaves you speechless doesn't it?! My neighbor and her children take a deep interest in the Foundation and the kids themselves want to learn all about Mattie!

Then I learned today that we have a NEW presenting sponsor for the Walk this year. CSA - Client Solution Architects has agreed to donate $10,000 to our work! I am honestly in awe of how today went. My neighbor and CSA truly are enabling us to make many Mattie Miracles possible. This is on a professional level. On a personal level, I struggle everyday as a caregiver and this leaves me little to no time to be myself, to have the freedom to meet with friends, to do Foundation work, to go to a doctor's appointment and the list goes on. Which is why receiving these two major gifts today reminded me that what I have helped to build is indeed recognizable, it serves an important need in the cancer community, and others want to be a part of the journey with us. Knowing this is the greatest gift, because no matter how overwhelmed I am, I never take my focus off the fact that I had a son named Mattie! Mattie's life and cancer journey can never be forgotten and these memories drive me to help countless others like him. 

No comments: