Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 15, 2023

Monday, May 15, 2023

Monday, May 15, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on Mother's Day of 2007. It is ironic that we still visit this restaurant. Now we take my parents here on a regular basis and visit with Dawn, one of our favorite servers. That day, Mattie posed for a picture and he wanted to show us how he felt about me. So he crossed his arms over his heart, to indicate how much he LOVED me. It was a previous moment in time and I am so glad Peter captured it on camera. 





Quote of the day: We will either find a way, or make one. ~ Anibal Barca


On Mother's Day, I had a conference call with a colleague of Peter's. They are trying to capture stories from caregivers of family members with Alzheimer's disease. I have been included as one of the six caregivers they are interviewing to hear perspectives, insights, and learn what caregivers would want to know before enrolling a loved one in a clinical trial for this form of dementia. I literally had no time to prepare for this interview, which was video recorded. But I took a deep breath and just tried to reflect on my day to day experiences. After the interview was over I actually felt like I accomplished something, other than my usual menial tasks. Not that I am solving any big life issues or problems with this one interview, but what it did remind me was I am gaining insights about this disease that are of value and help to others. So this put me in a better mood. At the end of the day, we all want to be useful, feel like we have a purpose, and make a difference. 

This morning, the day started off badly. My mom and I got into an argument about a bill she had to pay. This was followed right thereafter, by a complete disaster in the shower with my dad. While my dad was in the shower, I took my eye off of him for one minute, to collect garbage from the trash cans in the other bedrooms. This is something that I do routinely every morning. My dad sits in a shower chair so he is typically secure. But this morning, after returning with the trash in hand, I could smell something horrible coming from the bathroom. When I looked in the shower, I saw my dad standing. I knew immediately that he was pooping in the shower, as he stands for NO other reason.

To avoid such messes in the shower, I have put his big hospital basin in the shower for such purposes. As I rather him go in the basin then all over the shower. But of course, since I wasn't in the bathroom to remind him to use the basin, he instead made a mess and was spreading it all over the shower. It was so bad, that he clogged the drain in the shower and he was ankle deep in muddy water. Needless to say I was hysterical. 

Truthfully when dealing with this, I want to jump out the window. It is easy to feel so overwhelmed, with no way to make the situation better. After all I can't rationalize with him. He has NO memory. In fact, once out of the shower, and while I was cloroxing it, he had NO idea why I was doing what I was doing or the fact that he had just pooped in the shower. It is a very frustrating and at times hopeless disease. 

After my dad had breakfast, I got him in the car, and drove him to his memory care program. While helping my dad inside, a woman was watching me. As I was getting back in my car, she waved me over. Since I knew she had just come from the memory care center, I figured perhaps she worked there. Turns out that she is a caregiver to her mom. Her mom just started in the program this week and isn't transitioning well. We exchanged numbers because we both know that the majority of caregivers at this center are spouses, NOT children. So kudos to her for seeking out a fellow adult child to chat with. In any case, I tried to explain to her that this transition to the center is hard and it may take weeks or months for her mom to get used to it. I remember those moments back in March of 2022, when I thought I would pull my dad from the program. But the alternative wasn't great! Him sleeping and stagnant all day at home was not the solution, as I couldn't engage him throughout the day on my own. I knew my limitations and knew I needed help. 

No comments: