Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 22, 2023

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was two years old. That week we were visiting Peter's parents in Boston. I can't tell you how many generations have swung on this swing! I know I sure did when we were in college. Mattie loved it and he enjoyed all his Massachusetts adventures. Behind the family's house is a nature preserve, and this is truly a kid's playground. Mattie especially enjoyed experiencing all the things that Peter did as a child and he loved that his dad introduced him to the woods. 




Quote of the day: I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. ~ Maya Angelou


Peter is flying home from Portland on the red eye tonight. This morning, he did his usual run, and while out and about, he snapped some photos for me of his beautiful surroundings. While it is RAINING all week in the National Capital area, it is glorious in Portland! 
To me this space looks so serene and peaceful. I love all the views of Mt. Hood.  I have to admit that I did NOT know that Mt. Hood was a stratovolcano. In fact I had to look up what that term meant. Basically it is a volcano built up of alternate layers of lava and ash!


My freshman college roommate, Leslie, I think would love this place. I remember Leslie always telling our friendship group that she wanted to live in a log cabin when she got older. Isn't it funny that I thought about this memory, as soon as Peter sent me this photo!
Today's breakfast menu! I love all the freshly baked bread products and the creative drinks. 
Peter's lunch menu! If one has to work while in this beautiful setting then at least having innovative and memorable food helps!
For the past several nights I have stayed up late in order to create the Foundation's Walk 2023 video. To me this is a labor of love, but I enjoy the creative process and I also love sharing all the Walk photos with our supporters!

After my dad had his physical therapy appointment at home, I got my parents in the car and we went out to lunch. On a gloomy, rainy day, going out to eat helps to perk us up. Every Thursday, we dine at the same restaurant and work with a server named, Marquis. He put this cute sign on the table for us today. My dad liked it a lot, I think it made him feel special. 

Outings to restaurants are a good physical, mental, and social challenge for my dad and my mom. Yes it is more juggling for me, but since my parents have moved in, I am grateful to have met some outstanding people working in the restaurant industry. In fact, I would say that meeting these extraordinary individuals gives me hope about human nature and our future. 

No comments: