Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 21, 2023

Friday, July 21, 2023

Friday, July 21, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. It was Mattie's first trip to the beach. Because he did not care for actually going on the beach, we looked for all sorts of activities to keep him engaged. So we went to the aquarium. They had a sting ray petting tank and you can see in this photo a discussion I was having with Mattie about whether or not he wanted to touch the sting rays. The beauty of Mattie was that he had a natural understanding and caution for things he did not understand. It did not stop him from participating, but he did things on his own time schedule and I learned to follow his lead. 


Quote of the day: Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. Michael Jordan


When Peter is away, I now block the staircase to the second floor with chairs. I do this to prevent Sunny from coming upstairs at night. Karen helped me this week carry Sunny downstairs, but without an abled bodied adult, there is no way I can get Sunny down safely on my own. Last night we had another winner of a thunder storm. I was too tired to get up! When I went downstairs this morning at 6:30am, I saw that the chairs in front of the stairs had been moved. Moved, but not moved enough to climb up the stairs. In Sunny's hay day, he would have had the strength to use his body and push the chairs away. This is no longer possible.

As soon as I got downstairs, I did a point by point search for Sunny. He wasn't on the first floor, so I headed to the basement. At first I did not see him down there either and panicked that maybe he did get to the second floor and was in Peter's office. But then I found him! Sunny was hiding in the storage closet in the basement. It is the quietest place in the house. Smart dog, despite the fact that his hearing is going from the chemo. 

Managing Sunny's needs is takes time, time that I need to factor into my day. As Sunny first has to be pre-treated with anti-nausea drugs a few hours before I can give him his oral chemo each morning. At one time, Sunny used to love eating. He would devour food. Now there is nothing that truly interests him. His old favorite treats like steak, bacon, and hotdogs, don't work! I am cooking all sorts of food to inspire Sunny to eat, and the funny part about this is when my dad sees Sunny's plate, he wants to eat it. I guess I can make it look appetizing, wish it worked on Sunny. 

The day to day observations of decline that I live with are noteworthy and though it can be depressing at times, I try to plug through it the best I can and at the end of the day, what I learned with Mattie is...... I want NO regrets. I care for those entrusted to me in the best way that I can, and hopefully if and when I age, that I can live independently and care for myself. I am gleaming a lot of insights from my parent's situation and God forbid I get dementia, I hope that I will write notes to myself to help me keep track of my day. Despite my best efforts with my dad, he has NO interest in taking notes, or doing reflections to help him remember. I have to think this is part of his personality, mixed with the disease. Mattie's blog, over the last 15 years, has given me great discipline to write daily and once again, even in Mattie's death, he continues to be my life's greatest teacher. 

No comments: