Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 26, 2023

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Tuesday, September 26, 2023 -- Mattie died 730 weeks ago today.

Tonight's photo was taken in September of 2007. I will never forget this moment in time. That Saturday, the Embassy of Sweden had a family day. They had all sort of fun activities and educational booths set up for families. Outside the Embassy they placed this giant school chair. Mattie climbed up it and I naturally had to take a photo. Now looking back at this snapshot in time, LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER. I did not realize how good I had it, and now my life has truly come crashing down in all ways after Mattie died.   



Quote of the day: You don't go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.Nigella Lawson


On Friday, I am taking part in an international webinar on legacy making. I have been asked to provide a personal lens on this topic. When I created this slide, I decided to go on-line and Google the Psychosocial Standards of Care. There are SO MANY items that popped up. From photos taken at conferences, to slides in poster presentations, as well as articles of all kinds. I highlighted only a few in this slide. 

Along with my Google search, I came across an article that was written in 2013. Frankly I almost forgot it, until I looked and read through it. If you want to read it, go to: http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2013/may/16/miracles-continue-matties-memory/

In the last segment of this article, the author interviewed, Tricia. Mattie's favorite oncology nurse. Believe it or not, now 14 years later, Tricia and I are still friends and communicate often. She is a woman who I will never forget! Not only because of the stellar way she took care of Mattie, but because she was a fierce advocate for all three of us and cared about our well being. She was one of the only nurses we worked with who had children of her own, and I think this personal perspective gave her great empathy and compassion. I will always be grateful and indebted to Tricia. 

In my down moments, and I have had MANY of them this week, reading Tricia's comments brought a smile to my face. Seeing me through her eyes, makes me understand that others do see me as competent, caring, and a giving individual. The type of person I strive to be each and every day with those entrusted in my care or who I love. Tricia's words:

Tricia doesn't shy away from heaping praise and gratitude on the Brown family, repeatedly referring to Sardi-Brown as "amazing," "selfless" and "awesome," and to Peter Brown as "wonderful."

There's a tremendous respect and admiration for Sardi-Brown from her friends and those who know her through the foundation.

"She's an inspiration to me," Tricia said. "The strength and courage she gave that little boy was incredible at a time when she was frightened out of her mind .... It's her love for Mattie that propels her."

No comments: