Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 28, 2023

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. Mattie was five years old and was in kindergarten. This was the first year where we actually went costume shopping and we did not make the costume ourselves. Mattie wanted to be an Air Force pilot. Though I couldn't find a specific Air Force themed costume, my friend in the Air Force sent us several patches, which we glued onto the costume. Our neighbor then gave Mattie this cute hat and he was all set to go! He had a great time that year, at both his school's Halloween parade and then trick or treating with friends. 



Quote of the day: You gave me a forever within the numbered days… ~ John Green


It was a glorious weather day, in the 80s! Certainly I could have done chores inside, but I chose NOT to! My dad's physical therapist came over today and she worked with my dad in the backyard. I am so happy he got outside, as if I left it up to him, he wouldn't move from his chair in the family room all day. While my dad was doing physical therapy, my mom went for a walk in the neighborhood, and I decided to wash my mom's car and vacuum out both of our cars. It was the perfect day for such activity. After which, Sunny and I tried to go for a walk. However, Sunny just can't manage walking in the heat anymore. So I turned around with him and headed home after completing about a block. It was just too taxing for him. But at least we got out!

Later in the afternoon, I drove my parents to Rockville, MD and we had an early dinner. This is Dawn, one of our favorite servers. The restaurant was having a Halloween party at 10pm, and many of the servers were dressed up for the occasion. 

Dawn chose to be a nun. When my dad asked her why, her response was because it was very ironic! In any case, she got a lot of head turns today and some people actually thought she was a nun, who served tables on the side. Now that is a RIOT! 
Mattie Miracle's Fall Item Drive is well underway. I truly get a chuckle as to where delivery people drop off boxes at our home. They can be dropped anywhere, and I am constantly scanning the property all day long. Boxes have even been delivered at 5:30am! 

One of the deliveries today was by the post office, but not our typical postal employee. In any case, as the mailman drove by the driveway to deliver a package, he wanted to first know my last name. Almost as if he was confirming the name on the box with the person he was giving it to! In any case, when I told him my last name, he asked.... are you Italian? When I said yes, he then told me he is Italian too and from Sicily! He started talking to me in Italian. So I made a friend!

No comments: