Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 26, 2023

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2005. Mattie was three years old. That year, we bought a black sweat suit and felt material from AC Moore. We then cut out patches and hot glued them to the suit sweat! Mattie wanted to be a calico cat for Halloween. Unfortunately Mattie developed an ear infection that turned to sepsis and landed up in the ER. So Mattie never went trick or treating, as he was admitted to the hospital for three days. Needless to say, we kept the costume and in 2006, he officially wore it and it actually fit him perfectly that following year. To me, Mattie was an adorable cat!



Quote of the day: All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. ~ Havelock Ellis


I photographed this because I just had to laugh. Last evening, these boxes were delivered to a door on the side of our home. You can't tell from the photo, but there is a large table in front of the door, which should be a dead give away that we do not open this door. In any case, fortunately while my mom was doing her walking routine, she alerted me to these boxes. I had to carry them all the way around the house and inside. Here's the funny part. Amazon came back today, while I was grocery shopping and my mom introduced herself to the delivery fellow and explained that he can't leave packages on that side step! Apparently he is new on the route, and thanked her for the information. 

Every Thursday, for as far as I can remember, my parents and I have gone out to lunch. To the same particular restaurant, with the same server. Today, my mom was out of sorts, and I was right along side her. So we decided not to go out for lunch and instead I am cooking at home. The wonderful blessing of the day was that it was in the 70s! It felt like spring. So despite my funk, mixed with panic attacks, I got outside and walked.

Today I did not walk with Sunny, because I truly needed to walk and cover distance. I have found it is the only way for me to manage anxiety. I walked about five miles today and I took in the trees and plants all around me. When I got back home, I got my parents off the couch and in our backyard. As I felt we all needed a reset. 

Trees in our backyard! The poplars are beginning to turn colors and leaves are everywhere. 
Fall colors. 
Peter's flowers are still blooming!
Though my mom graduated from physical therapy this week, her therapist wants her practicing walking on uneven surfaces. So she did some laps on the grass and then together we bent over along our grass walk and picked up fallen sticks and branches. PT in our own backyard. 
I even got my dad up and moving! Which I assure you is NOT easy. But I wanted him to get out of the family room, move his body, and see and appreciate the beauty around him. 


No comments: