Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 9, 2023

Saturday, December 9, 2023

Saturday, December 9, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old. By that age, Mattie was very ON and full of life. Mattie was a busy fellow and rarely sat still. His mind was always going and his body followed suit. As you can see, he LOVED his vehicles! Mattie naturally gravitated to all things with wheels. I remember prior to having Mattie, I would lecture my human development students about nature versus nurture. I always was a strong proponent of nurture, but once I had Mattie, I realized nature plays a huge role in one's personality and interests. One of the many many things I learned from Mattie!


Quote of the day: People die all the time. Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely. It’s too easy not to make the effort, then weep and wring your hands after the person dies. ~ Haruki Murakami


This morning, my dad had a physical therapy session. I had paused his therapy for a month because I have been distraught and overwhelmed. But I realize this was having negative consequences on my dad's strength and abilities. So I was thankful Laura came over today. She can see that my dad has regressed and gets winded with any kind of movement now. However, I know with her support, we can restabilize him again. 

While my dad was in his PT session, our neighbor came over for a visit. She has become like an aunt to me. She cares deeply and is very fond of me. When she was ill not long ago, I went grocery shopping for her and her husband and I also helped to clean up their yard. They haven't forgotten any of these gestures and in turn have adopted me as a person they feel close to in the neighborhood. I am honored to have a neighbor that genuinely cares, has good intentions, and wants to be a part of my life. 

Later in the day, I took my parents out for frozen yogurt. Something my dad loves! Then ran to the grocery store for fresh fish for dinner. Truly after running around all day, I really did not want to walk Sunny. But at 5pm, he looked at me with his big sad eyes, so I grabbed a flashlight and out we went! It was a great decision because it perked me up. 

When in the kitchen, I love seeing this particular counter! I happen to love this little nook and I typically decorate it according to the season!

Within the last three days, I have received some lovely messages either by email or actual cards. People who want me to know how special Mattie Miracle is to them and to the children we serve. Here are a few messages that mean a lot to me:

From a therapeutic clinic (in which we pay for a young fellow's therapy)..................

Dear Victoria, Thank you so much for your generosity for X. We really appreciate it. Thanks, BB (billing manager)

From two long time supporters...................

Dear Vicki, Congratulations for all of the love, caring, and for making such an unselfish contribution to so many human beings. All good wishes. Love, H

Merry Christmas Vicki! It gives me joy to help your amazing organization. The spirit of Mattie lives on in so many families. Best, K

No comments: