Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 1, 2024

Friday, March 1, 2024

Friday, March 1, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. The child life playroom at the hospital had a Wii game. The game  chosen was yoga positions. Literally Mattie was mimicking the character on the screen. That may not seem like a big deal, but remember Mattie was wheelchair bound. He couldn't put his full weight on his right foot and leg. So doing yoga movements was not an easy feat. Of course while Mattie was doing this, he had a whole bunch of people watching, who also jumped in and tried to compete with Mattie for the best pose. Needless to say, to this day, I find this photo, which was taken by one of Mattie's nurses, to be so meaningful and captured Mattie's energy and spirit. 


Quote of the day: If there is a heaven, it's certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them. ~ Pam Brown


I remember this moment in time. I took Sunny for an afternoon walk around our neighborhood in the city. Want to know what he was staring at?! Try a squirrel. Sunny chased and scared it up a tree. Sunny wasn't going to take his eyes off of it! Sunny loved anything that moved. Of course, when we moved into our house, squirrels were no longer of interest to him, because he had access to much bigger game (deer, fox, etc.)!

 





Last night, while having dinner, my dad's face was flush. He was sneezing, coughing, and wasn't eating. Given that he has already lost 11 pounds in a few months, I am watching him extra carefully. Last Saturday, he was also sick, and I took him to urgent care (based on doctor's orders) to get a flu swab. I already knew he did not have COVID. My dad tested negative for both COVID and the Flu. So the doctor did not prescribe him anything. Now almost a week later, my dad had full blown symptoms and when I saw he had an 101 fever last night, I text messaged his doctor. Of course the doctor wanted another COVID swab done, which I quickly did. Thankfully I have a supply. My dad is once again COVID negative, but I wanted the doctor to make a decision and get a script into our pharmacy by 7:45pm. Why? Because our CVS closes at 8pm. Another reality I had to face early on when I moved out of the city. Things close much earlier out here in the suburbs. 

By 7:40pm, the doctor felt my dad needed antibiotics. I told him to call it in quickly. While getting my dad settled in his chair and cleaning up dinner dishes, I called CVS and asked them to check for this script because I was coming within minutes to pick up the antibiotics. Needless to say, I jumped into the car and was dead set on getting to the pharmacy before they closed. I got it done and came home and started him on his meds. I am thankful that I moved quickly on this because my dad had a fever of 101 while on Tylenol. 

There is something scary to me about things that happen at night. Things always arise in the dark and dealing with medical issues after hours is always stressful. Being the only abled body in my home now is also a major concern because I have no back up. No one close by who can jump in and help me. That alone can send me for a tail spin. But like everything else, I rose to the occasion last night and did what was in my dad's best interest. 

No comments: