Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 12, 2024

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Tuesday, March 12, 2024 -- Mattie died 754 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. That day we were invited to the launching of the Children's Art Gallery at the Hospital. We had worked on many pieces for this exhibit, including poems, a Lego structure of a hospital room, and collages. All were on display. After a little ceremony, we had a party and several of the volunteer musicians were on hand to entertain and work with the children. Do you see the fellow with the violin? That is Anthony. Not only did Anthony work with Mattie, he now works with my dad at his memory care center. Each month when Anthony visits the center, he purposefully goes over to my dad to remind him that he loved working with Mattie. A special person indeed! Mattie loved art and truly enjoyed the launching of the art gallery. Which is why whenever I visit the hospital, I always walk through this space!


Quote of the day: Dogs don’t rationalize. They don’t hold anything against a person. They don’t see the outside of a human but the inside of a human. ~ Cesar Millan


This is one of my favorite photos of Sunny. My good friend, MaryAnn, gave Sunny this lion toy! That day, we had a good time playing with several of his toys and the lion landed up on top of his head. Just precious! The best dog ever. 
















This morning, I spent 90 minutes, yes 90 on the phone trying to connect with my dad's health benefit's center. My dad's former employer used to provide retirees with a Health Reimbursement Account. It was a very helpful thing to have as it helped pay off some of his monthly insurance premiums. In any case, in January when I called this benefit's center, they explained that the company would not be providing a HRA any longer to retirees because they were revamping benefits and trying to get retirees to sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan. NO THANK YOU! If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Mind you I wouldn't know that such a change was imminent if it wasn't for our friend, Phyllis, in Los Angeles, who gave me a head's up!

So I figured once my dad's current HRA ran out, that will be it. Then this week, we received a whole packet of brochures in the mail. One mentioned a HRA option! Naturally I was confused. Needless to say, I spent 90 minutes on the phone today trying to figure out whether the company changed its mind and is offering retirees a HRA! Truthfully I was passed from one person to another. I talked to a total of 7 different people. I also got on-line and did a chat with the benefit's center! Ironically the chat person gave me the most accurate information and the direct number for the HRA people! Finally after 90 minutes, I learned what I already knew in January. There is NO new HRA! Needless to say I gave it to them on the phone. Why send us information this week on a HRA if this brochure has old and outdated information? It was a waste of time, but I have now put that issue to bed. One issue down. 

After that phone call, I went outside for an hour to pick up large tree limbs that fell from wind storms we have been having. I contacted my neighbor's contractor this morning because the debris from the construction site was all over our front lawn. You name it.... Styrofoam containers, snack wrappers, paper plates, and dirty napkins, etc! Once I cleaned all that up, I wrote to the contractor. In our exchange I asked him whether I could dump several large tree limbs into his dumpster. He agreed and he did me a favor because you should have seen what I collected. It was a ridiculous and heavy amount. But I not only carried these limbs myself, I lifted them up over my head and into the dumpster. It did not end there, then I brought our large garbage bin to the backyard and collected more sticks and branches. Really this alone could be a full time job. 

Who was missing from the backyard trip? SUNNY! Sunny was my constant companion. Being outside doesn't seem to have the same meaning. But as I walk through our backyard, I remember that cute tan and white fellow walking, running, sniffing, and exploring his yard. He loved it and I loved that he was a part of my life. 

No comments: