Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 12, 2024

Friday, April 12, 2024

Friday, April 12, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. Mattie was two years old and that day we took him to the National Zoo. It was a beautiful day and Mattie enjoyed being outside and exploring the terrain and the animal life. This was the incredible life I had with my "Mattie Moo." Now as I look at this, it seems like another life, NOT mine, as happiness and a future are just not attainable for me. 

Quote of the day: To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice, though inasmuch as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman.Hermione Gingold


This morning, when my dad came downstairs for breakfast, he found birthday cards, cookies, and gifts in front of him. My dad turned 89 years old today! 

The sad part is even just after opening all of these things, he had NO memory within minutes of any of these items. Alzheimer's is truly a horrific disease. 

Guess what caught my dad's attention first!? If you guessed the cookies, you are correct. He desperately wanted one, so after he had his breakfast, he ate a big chocolate covered chocolate chip cookie! 
We went out for lunch today to celebrate my dad. Cheryl, our server, who we visit with each Sunday, decorated the table, got my dad a head band, balloons, and gifts. Cheryl made it special. I truly feel like I am falling apart from stress, so having Cheryl's kindness and her willingness to decorate and make today special are indescribable gifts to me. 
All the restaurant managers came over to wish my dad a happy birthday. By the time they finished, each manager comped different parts of our lunch. I was deeply touched. The funny part is they said to me.... I deserve it, and it wasn't my birthday! 
A close up of the birthday boy!

I tried to make it a special day for my dad, but my mom was a bundle today. She got fixated on taxes that are due on Monday. My parent's accountant and I have VERY different personality styles. I am tightly wound, a solid type A, and he is on the other end of the spectrum. I alerted the accountant two months ago that I wanted the information, so I could start working with my mom on her taxes. My parents pay taxes quarterly. So I don't deal with this fire drill once a year, but FOUR times a year. 

I have gone from a being a wife who never worried about check books, managing a household financially, or dealing with taxes, to a woman who now deals with everything all at once. When I tell you that some days I dread getting out of bed, I am not kidding. I am a figurative firefighter. Each day is a different crisis, another fire to put out. My mom couldn't focus on anything else at this birthday lunch other than taxes. She called the accountant at the table on the half an hour. Finally I told her to just STOP. He clearly wasn't answering her calls. 

When I got home, I made my way to my mom's computer and navigated on the web to establish on-line tax accounts so that we could pay electronically. This will be easier for me to monitor what has been paid out and how. I have no idea if I estimated correctly, but frankly I wanted to address this ASAP because I couldn't handle my mom's anxiety, fear, and hysteria one more minute. 

No comments: