Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 10, 2010

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tonight's picture was taken on October 20, 2008. Mattie was headed to receive his first limb salvaging surgery, it was early in the morning, and we were waiting in a pre-op area until Dr. Bob was ready. Peter was sitting behind Mattie all suited up to go into the operating area with Mattie. The irony is.... look at Mattie's face! He looked relaxed and had a beaming smile on his face. All I know is if I were going into surgery to have a tumor removed from my right arm, I wouldn't be looking this good. It speaks to Mattie's strength and character! There is a great deal we can all learn from his outlook on life, and on how he handled such a crisis and amazing amounts of pain.


Quote of the day: But when God sent you to me He never said that you were mine, That I could keep you always - only borrowed for a time. Now He's called you home, I'm sad and I shed tears. Yet I'm glad He loaned you to me and we had these many years. ~ Edna Burch


I typically try to pick quotes that speak to how I am feeling or capture my thoughts. Tonight's quote does neither and I therefore posted it for this particular reason. I can not imagine any woman who carries a baby for nine months would be okay with giving this child up after a short period of time. Or better yet to admit that this child was never theirs to begin with, but only "borrowed for a time." When you have a baby, it is with an unspoken understanding that this child will out live you. But what happens if your baby develops cancer? Well I can tell you. It means that the years you thought you were going to have get erased away, and instead, as the quote implies, I am supposed to sit back and be grateful for the time we did have together. Well I can honestly say that I am NOT happy that Mattie was loaned to me for a period of time, nor do I think we shared many years together. Seven years is just not enough!

Peter and I headed to the airport together. While in the car, I felt as if I was getting motion sick. By the time I got to the airport I was ill and wasn't sure how I was going to manage a five hour flight. Fortunately however, I listened to Peter earlier in the week and bought dramamine. I took it before I got on the plane, and it helped immensely. While sitting at the airport waiting to board our flight, I walked around and went into various stores. All I could think of was Mattie. Mattie loved going on airplanes (unlike me!) and he especially loved starting out an adventure by getting a toy at the airport. Needless to say, we accumulated many airplane models and toys over the years.

Thankfully our flight was smooth and peaceful. Well peaceful until a woman in first class passed out in the aisle. The airline asked for medical personnel to report to the front, and thankfully we had an emergency medical technician aboard the flight. We arrived safely in Los Angeles and the weather is sunny and in the 80s. Right up my alley. My parents greeted us at the airport, and we have been chatting, catching up, and had dinner together. As we drove to my parent's house today, we found two wonderful sightings near their house. If you look closely, you can see a bunny by the bushes. The fur on this bunny was almost chocolate brown in color.

The other wonderful sighting we had was of a black tailed deer. It is hard to see from this picture, but this deer has antlers on it! These were two creatures Mattie would have loved to see and watch. So it was quite a greeting we received this evening.
I am signing off for the evening. I find I am still on East Coast time, and as I am writing this blog, I can feel how exhausted I am.

No comments: