Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 23, 2011

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2006. Mattie was out on our deck, playing in his frog sandbox. As you can see he took off the lid of the sandbox, and piled every toy he kept in the box into the lid and then jumped inside the lid to sit with all the toys. It seemed like quite a sight to me, so I took a picture of him!


Quote of the day: Grief is a tidal wave that over takes you, smashes down upon you with unimaginable force, sweeps you up into its darkness,where you tumble and crash against unidentifiable surfaces, only to be thrown out on an unknown beach, bruised, reshaped...Grief will make a new person out of you, if it doesn't kill you in the making. ~  Stephanie Ericsson


I couldn't agree more with this quote. Grief changes you. It would be impossible to go through a 15 month ordeal of watching Mattie battle with cancer and then die a horrific death and come out of this experience untouched. I understand the author's sentiments that at times it feels like grief could kill you. I suppose this feeling was heightened today or maybe just this weekend in general. If I hear or see one more Easter related advertisement or the talk of Easter egg hunts and baskets, I may lose it. It is interesting how a season of renewal and rebirth, doesn't feel that way to me at all. In fact, if someone did not tell me that Friday was Good Friday and tomorrow was Easter, I really wouldn't know. It is my hope that God understands my feelings. Actually I do believe God understands my feelings, and instead it is earthly beings who represent and espouse his teachings who would have me believe otherwise.

As I write tonight's blog, Peter is 9300 miles away, safely in Bangladesh. Though it is 9:30pm on Saturday in Washington, DC, it is 8:30am on Sunday in Bangladesh. Literally Peter got off the airplane, checked into his hotel, showered, and reported to work. No rest in between. Apparently his client meetings begin on Sunday, on Easter. At 11:30am, I received a surprise email from Peter. He was emailing me from the Doha Airport in Qatar. His flight from Washington, DC to Qatar was 12 hours long. At the Doha Airport, they offered free wifi services, and so we chatted back and forth with each other for at least an hour. He then signed off and boarded his next flight to Bangladesh, which was another 6 hours of flying time.

The first message I received today from Peter stated, "I am here. The flight was long, but I was dozing through several hours of it. It was weird flying as I took off at night, and then it got light out, and then we landed just as the sun was setting. Doha looks very sandy and very built up in the main city. The airport is right on the sea. One story for you, a few hours into the flight I opened the shade and looked out, and saw a light, a fixed light. I first thought it was the wing, but then I noticed after a few minutes it was getting a little higher. That's right, it was the moon. It stayed with me for hours and of course reminded me that I was not alone...."

I found Peter's message very touching, as Mattie Moon was following him and keeping him company along his journey. Tomorrow is Easter, and yet without Mattie integrated within our day, it seems like just another day. Today was one of those days, where I really did not want to get up and do anything. But thanks to Patches, my cat, staying in bed was not an option. Nonetheless, it was a very quiet day that served as a constant reminder of the magnitude of what we have lost. For those of you who read this blog and who have children, please remember how lucky you are. Nothing in life is a given, so when your children have their health, you actually have the greatest gift life has to offer.

No comments: