Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 17, 2011

Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday, June 17, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. As you can see it features one of Mattie's Lego structures that he built which extended through our living room. Legos were always a part of our lives once Mattie was born. He naturally gravitated to them and loved to build, create, and design. All of Mattie's Legos were donated, however several of his special pieces we kept. In total, we must have had close to 100,000 Lego bricks in our home! My joke with Mattie was that one day he was going to build me a couch made out of Legos! He always thought that was funny.

Quote of the day: Words are like nets - we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder. ~ Jodi Picoult

I wasn't sure how I was going to spend the beginning part of the day. I was working on Foundation items but needed a diversion. It is in such moments like this when my friend Tina sends me a text message. Purely by happenstance mind you. In any case, Tina invited me to her home to see her remodeling in progress. I enjoy watching and being involved in any sort of creative process now, so it was fun to see the first stage of her home's transformation. Tina happens to have a labradoodle, and this dog and I seem to be simpatico with each other. Any case, the irony of the matter is Max and I played a chasing game today around Tina's couch that reminded me of a game Mattie and I used to play together with Zachary. Of course Mattie and Zachary were pretending to be trains and they were chasing me, and Max was chasing me for the sheer joy of the activity. Nonetheless, running in circles reminded me of Mattie's preschool days! It is funny how an activity can take you back in time.

As the afternoon continued, I visited and cared for Ann's garden and then went to visit her mom, Mary for several hours. As soon as Mary saw me she noticed the glass sea turtle necklace I bought at Rehoboth beach recently. She liked how is sparkled and commented on it immediately. Tina noticed it too, so I have to think I chose wisely and when someone notices it is reminds me of Mattie. Mattie grew to love sea turtles especially after his preschool adopted him one named Roxana. Roxana was given to Mattie shortly after he was diagnosed with cancer. Mattie loved tracking Roxana on the computer and getting updates on her in the mail!

This weekend is another special weekend for so many people, since it is Father's day. Yet another hard weekend for us. This Father's day, many Mattie supporters are getting together at National's Stadium to watch a baseball game. Thanks to a generous donation we received, we were able to give anyone who made a contribution to the Foundation on the day of the walk (May 22, 2011), National's tickets for a father's day game. There will even be a special message to Foundation supporters on the score board on June 19, 2011. Naturally Peter and I are grateful to our contributors and to the family who donated the 99 baseball tickets to us. However, this is not a game we can attend for various emotional reasons. Actually it is hard to know how to handle Father's Day or Mother's Day and I have concluded Hallmark doesn't even come close in making the appropriate card for people like Peter and I.   

No comments: