Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 7, 2012

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital trying to recover from his second limb salvaging operation. That operation was extensive, because it involved his right leg, left arm, and left wrist. All three locations were operated upon in one surgery.... two of the sites (leg and arm) received a prosthetic and the third site (wrist) a bone graft. Despite the fact that three of Mattie's limbs weren't functioning at the time, he was determined to play on the computer. So his left leg took over, and his foot became so skilled, it acted just like a hand. This photo I entitle, "When there is a will, there is a way." I think this photo speaks volumes about Mattie's spirit and determination, because after such an extensive surgery which left him quite disabled, I am not sure the rest of us would have fared as well.


Quote of the day: Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about. ~ Author Unknown


Tonight's quote seems to sum up our love for Mattie. For me the blog and the Foundation have become symbols of Mattie, and though there are days I would like to stop writing the blog, or even working so hard on the Foundation, I don't. I don't because by doing these things, I remember Mattie, and Mattie is the kind of child, from my perspective, you "can't go a day without thinking about."

Peter and I had another four hour long car trip today. We left New York at 10:30am and got to DC by 3pm. It was a rainy and cold drive, the whole way! Despite driving along VERY busy highways we did see wild turkey and deer along our trip.

We are both tired this evening, but we are settling in. I want to thank so many of you for checking the blog while we were away. I appreciated the emails as well, and I am happy our trip to the Cape brought back memories for some of you, and inspired others of you to want to visit this beautiful part of the Country.
 

No comments: