Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 1, 2013

Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday, February 1, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. As you can see Mattie was in his good old reliable..... Tot Wheels. What I tried to capture was Mattie on a tear through the first floor of our home! He couldn't walk independently yet but WOW could those legs propel him on wheels!!!



Quote of the day: The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson


I debated for days whether to see a neurologist or an orthopedist for the numbness in my leg. I selected my orthopedist and I made the right decision. I had several xrays taken, a neurological test performed, and naturally an examination. We determined that I twisted my vertebrae in a funny way while setting up for a party two weeks ago. This sharp twist impacted a nerve that runs from my knee down to my foot. I can handle the pain much better knowing that there is a logical explanation for it. I was given medication to manage nerve pain and four weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week! That should be a pip to fit into my schedule especially since I am headed to California soon. I will have to begin this when I return. Going to Virginia Hospital Center however is like returning to the scene of the crime. It was at this Hospital that Mattie was born, diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, and last year where my ct scan revealed questionable masses. It is funny how one place can bring life's greatest joy and life's greatest pain!

After seeing the doctor, I then ventured to Georgetown University Hospital. Believe it or not, I had four more bags of candy people recently donated to the Foundation that I wanted to drop off for the snack cart. Once my drop off was done, I was sitting in my car returning messages when out of the corner of my eye, someone approached my driver's side window. When I looked up, it was Jey. Jey was Mattie's x-ray technician. Jey considered Mattie his "little brother." Jey worked beautifully with Mattie and came to visit him practically daily when Mattie was living in the hospital. Which was OFTEN! When Mattie died, Jey came to Mattie's hospital room and insisted that he had to personally take Mattie's body to the hospital morgue. He reminded everyone that day that "this was my little brother." Jey and I hugged today and we got a chance to catch up. However, Mattie's death impacted Jey too, for Jey is no longer an x-ray tech. He now works hospital security. We shall never forget Jey or the way he looked out for Mattie and us at the hospital. Some people are irreplaceable and unforgettable.

Later this afternoon, I picked up my friend's son from school for her. Out of instinct, I always arrive early. I never like keeping a child waiting. So as I got there I was able to park and watch the kindergarten students outside playing. As school was coming to a close for the day, the teacher led the class back inside for dismissal. However, every student had to pass my car to get back into the building. As they passed my car, I smiled at them. Not only did I get smiles back, but many of them waved at me. A couple even came up to the car because they were intrigued by a flower Mattie made for me that hangs on my rear view mirror. Any case, it was a very precious moment and it reminded me of the days Mattie was in kindergarten. It is hard to believe at that innocent age, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer.

No comments: