Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 18, 2013

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was 15 months old and apparently Peter captured one of my many entertaining moments with Mattie. Needless to say the goofier I was the more intrigued Mattie became with me. Mealtimes were always an experience mainly because Mattie HATED being confined to his high chair, so it required high energy and a bag of tricks on my part to get Mattie to focus and eat.


Quote of the day: Happiness is a by-product of an effort to make someone else happy. ~ Gretta Brooker Palmer


After a year of planning for the Foundation's Walk, tomorrow is practically here! In 2009, Mattie's care community planned a Walk for him. Mattie attended the Walk and was so happy to see hundreds of family and friends in attendance, united to show him their love, concern, and support. The Walk has a very emotional component for Peter and I, and in some ways it is hard for me to plan an event in which I know Mattie will not be enjoying and participating in. It is also hard to plan an event in which I see children all around me having fun and a good time. These are all bittersweet feelings. At public events like this it is easy for me to feel like others do not understand the true internal battle Peter and I live with daily, and yet such events are needed in order to promote the Foundation and connect with our community. Losing a child to cancer has forced me into a world in which it is hard to explain and in which at times I am sure people view me as the one with the problem. All quite possible, but the fact of the matter is after a full year of planning and working 16 to 20 hour days for the past two weeks, the Walk will be over in four hours and then what? Post-Walk maybe just as challenging emotionally as the Walk itself.

In any case, I am signing off for tonight. Peter and I spent today with my parents, Peter's parents, and my lifetime friend, Karen. All of whom came into town to support us and remember Mattie. Some Walk attendees have never met Mattie, and therefore maybe motivated to attend the Walk for different reasons. However for me, the Walk will always be about Mattie, my love for Mattie, and the pain that remains within our hearts and mind. Let's hope that the massive amounts of rain and thunder predicted for Sunday will dissipate. Mattie Miracle Walks have always brought out the sun in the past and to me this is one of the gifts Mattie gives me each May. It is my hope that Mattie is with me tomorrow on some level, and I will be looking for those glimmers of sunshine as his sign to me!

No comments: