Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 24, 2014

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 -- Mattie died 250 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. We took Mattie to Lancaster, PA one weekend and along our journey we came across this wonderful farm! The amazing part about all of this is I just Google this place tonight, and I can't get over how this farm has expanded! They say they provide "agri-tainment" now and they aren't kidding. For fun, you should check out their website: http://www.cherrycrestfarm.com/. All I know is Mattie would have loved all these new activities at the farm if he were alive today! 

Quote of the day: The only way to have a friend is to be one. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


This is the summer of work for me. I honestly thought after the Walk I would have a moment of down time, but it isn't happening at all. Somehow that is very disturbing to me. Since I do the majority of work from home, I really do need to carve out time to get outside and interact with people and the world. If I don't make a concerted effort, it would be very easy NOT to! 

At some point today, I walked to our new neighborhood cafe that was just constructed. Our area really needs more places like this! In any case, while in the restaurant waiting for my sandwich, I heard music playing. The music sounded familiar. It was just instrumental in this case, and as I kept listening to it, I tried to place how I knew it! Then it hit me. Of course I knew it! I knew it very well. It was the adorable song from the movie Dumbo, called Baby of Mine. Any one who has ever watched Dumbo, knows that Mrs. Jumbo (Dumbo's mom) gets locked up in a cage and labeled as a "mad elephant." Dumbo is lost and very sad without his mom. One night Dumbo's buddy, Timothy, the mouse, sneaks Dumbo to visit his mom by her cage. When mom and baby reunion, this is when Disney plays for us "Baby of Mine." It is a song that I used to sing to Mattie. I included the link below in case you have NO IDEA what I am talking about. At the end of the song, both mom and baby must part from each other, and that scene gets me every time. It gets me because it captures maybe 1/100th of the pain of what it felt like to have to say good-bye to Mattie. 

In any case, I went into this cafe feeling one way today, but after hearing the song, I have to say it changed my mood completely. Not necessarily for the better. It always amazes me how the senses can transform an experience, a minute, or even a day for us. But what it also points out to me is grief is ever present and really not that far from the surface of our consciousness. It doesn't need much to trigger a feeling or a reaction. For me it is always music to evoke feelings and memories and Baby of Mine will always remind me of the many times Mattie and I watched Dumbo together and how I am missing my baby of mine!

Baby of Mine ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSdgIDyl6Q

No comments: