Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 13, 2015

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 -- Mattie died 317 weeks ago today. 

This photo of Mattie on a golf ball was sent to us by a fellow parent who was hosting a golf tournament and featured Mattie and other children on the green. They posted this photo on Peter's Facebook page and naturally I quickly downloaded it! I know that parents who have lost their child to cancer refer to their child as either a cancer angel or warrior. I am not sure why neither of these terms resonate with me, and I never refer to Mattie in that manner. Not that I don't think he was either (angel and warrior), it is just that this is not how I depict him in my mind or heart. 






Quote of the day: Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. ~ Pissaro


My friend in cancer, sent me this photo today and it resonated with me. Not just the fact that it depicts a butterfly, which I associate with Mattie, but because of Pissaro's quote. After I lost Mattie, the simple and the natural are what truly captures my attention. 

For the past week, while sitting at my desk, a monarch butterfly flutters by. Almost at the same time each afternoon. If I lived in the suburbs or in a rural area, one would probably think nothing of this. But since I live in the heart of the city, I take notice! Also the fact that it is a daily occurrence. 






Peter took the photos below of Marina City in Chicago. I asked him to take a photo of them because I know that when my paternal uncle lived in Chicago, he lived in these towers. He even sent me a poster of these towers years ago and put an X on the poster indicating his floor. I have never seen Marina City in person, so I figured a photo would be the next best thing. 


The Marina City complex was designed in 1959 by architect Bertrand Goldberg and completed in 1964 at a cost of $36 million, financed to a large extent by the union of building janitors and elevator operators, who sought to reverse the pattern of white flight from the city's downtown area. When finished, the two towers were both the tallest residential buildings and the tallest reinforced concrete structures in the world. The complex was built as a city within a city, featuring numerous on-site facilities including a theatre, gym, swimming pool, ice rink, bowling alley, several stores and restaurants, and, of course, a marina. 




Marina City was the first urban post-war high-rise residential complex in the United States and is widely credited with beginning the residential renaissance of American inner cities. Its model of mixed residential and office uses and high-rise towers with a base of parking has become a primary model for urban development in the United States and throughout the world, and has been widely copied throughout many cities internationally. Marina City construction employed the first tower crane used in the United States.






Any one who thinks that a nurse just handles a patient's medical concerns, hasn't really interacted with a nurse. These professionals are the first responders to psychosocial issues for patients and their families. Those who walked along with us during Mattie's cancer battle know of Brandon, Mattie's best buddy (and a cancer survivor). Brandon's niece was treated by Nurse Pam (featured in this article), and based on my own experience with Mattie's nurses, this story hits home to me. Our nurses not only cared for Mattie, but they became part of our family.

Nurse adopts a little boy after he recovers from birth defect:

http://www.littlethings.com/nurse-pam-adopts-yuri/

No comments: