Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 30, 2016

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2007. We took Mattie to Butler's Orchard that weekend for pumpkin picking and a hayride! The Orchard had to be my favorite Fall Festival around. Mainly because they had a great corn maze, wagon rides, and a trip out to their actual pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins! As you can see we left that day with several wonderful hand picked pumpkins. 



Quote of the day: I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. John Muir


Indie gets a lot of outdoor time! In fact, I have never had a cat who demanded it! She is excellent because you can let her outside, but she NEVER strays from the deck area. Now that doesn't mean she won't walk the periphery of our deck wall. She will! But she never leaves the boundaries of our home! One smart puss!!!
While I had the view above from my kitchen window, I had Sunny behind me.... staring at me!
It maybe Fall, but it was 80 degrees today in DC. It was beautiful! The kind of day you know you have to be outside. Last night, we planned to take Sunny to Great Falls, VA. We took Mattie to Great Falls before, and he loved it. Since Sunny loves adventure and walking (as did Mattie), we had a feeling he would enjoy it!
This is a view of the Falls!
People were Kayaking today, the water was so smooth.  
We paused on top of the rocks and I snapped a photo of Sunny and Peter. We walked about four miles today. We weren't sure how Sunny would take to trails that had rocks on it. Sunny LOVED it. He did not slow down, as he literally can gallop up rocks of any size!
They even walked through a dried up canal lock! Sunny wanted to do this as he was hot on the trail of a squirrel!

After our walk, we had a picnic in the park. I brought lunch for Peter, Sunny, and myself! I think Sunny truly loved the experience and could have continued walking!
This evening.... Indie is back outside. Look at her looking up at me from Mattie's window!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Many times your blog makes me feel like I am on the adventure with you & Peter. Sunny, certainly, was the perfect dog for you.
I loved the entire adventure but most of all, I loved the picture of you and Mattie in the wagon with those pumpkins.
There is no hint in this picture of all the sorrow to come. The beauty of the photo is lasting like Mattie's smile!!!!